Is it true they let you start solo?

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by Lightside, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    I read on their page that when you start after orientation you won't have a trainer? Sounds pretty good to me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's what other drivers have posted. 10 days orientation then hit the road solo unless you request more time. 10 days is plenty of time unless you graduated from a public high school that focused of teaching political correctness.

dukesings, iono12345 and Lightside Thank this.
  4. Lightside

Jul 4, 2015
    I start at May next week. Guess I will go to the orientation and see how it is. Schneider is an option but don't know if I want to go all the way to Fontana..unless of course they let me have my own room during training (representative said I might be on my own). Applied at Gordon and Watkins. Gordon seemed alright (they have a great looking terminal in Millersberg). Pay was the same as the others really. .29cpm up to 36cmp. Most pay tuition. Schneider is the only company so far that offered me a sign on bonus. I like the 90 dollars a day for 90 days at May. I keep hearing though they don't have a lot of work.

The biggest things I am looking at are:

Safety - Condition of trucks/trailers
    Pay/Bonuses - Schneider wins here
    Length of training - Schneider or Watkins
    Home time - May terminal is very close to me.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  5. RickyDickyDo

RickyDickyDo Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Loveland, Colorado
    Go to www.fmcsa safety. There you will find different web sites to look up companies on safety records and such.

Lightside Thanks this.
  6. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Would like an auto.. Geeze want some to hold the steering wheel for you also...

7. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I highly recommend Watkins Shepard BECAUSE they have no trainer time, you shouldn't need it and their safety record proves it...

Lightside Thanks this.
  8. 3031

3031 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2011
    It's true, you're on your own after the 10 day orientation. I started my career with WS and have been here four years. It's a good company.

walstib and Lightside Thank this.
  9. Lightside

Jul 4, 2015
    haha I don't need an auto just would make things easier to start off with to learn the road and logs etc. I was told to try to find a company with an auto because my shifting wasn't the greatest but I would like to master it.

10. Mr. Jay

Mr. Jay Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The only down side to the 10 day program isn't necessarily the driving aspect of the job, but the administration. When I went through, we were still on paper logs, so that along with getting everything right with the trip envelopes was fairly stress inducing.

Then there's the whole "why won't the receiver return my phone calls?" and "My GPS says this and my routing says THIS?!?" issues to contend with as well.

11. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Should have gone with Maverick then, Flatbed or reefer, they have full size sleeper auto cascadias, EXCELLENT equipment, dedicated glass & flatbed accounts, great hometime, better pay then all you listed/applied to, & might be a company you would want to stay for more then a year.

Hope it works for you at Watkins, you must have thick skin or will grow it soon.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.