Is it worth buying a used 2013+ truck? Is it true there all lemons ? HELP

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PSDHILLON, Jun 9, 2018.

1. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    Guys, what do you mean by "dropped oil tubes"? Sorry to be so dense

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Take off the oil pan, the oil pickup sucks up the oil and pumps it through two horizontal tubes that have o-rings on them that crack and lose oil pressure. Not a big job to change.

Young_Gun, mhyn, Dave_in_AZ and 2 others Thank this.
  4. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    What's wrong with Caskies? They probably do the best job integrating the emission systems. I've had my '14 for 2 years and 250,000 miles now. First year - nothing but oil changes. Second year - couple grand for new engine harness and new nos sensor (which I installed myself). Honestly, I'm pretty happy. 650000 miles and just survived a run to Alaska without even a single check engine light. And this is an ex-werner company fleet truck, too.

20 Mule Team Thanks this.
  5. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Oh yeah, my Mexicans in LA replaced those just in case when doing engine bearing replacement. Only charged me like $30 extra for it.

Tug Toy and uncleal13 Thank this.
  6. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    OK, people say that 2010-14 trucks were bad but later trucks, like 2018, are better and "bugs were worked out". I have to ask, how do you know this? There was not enough time to wear out and age all the components to verify this. All these new engines still have a shipload of sensors, wires, electronics, DEF, DPF and all that crap and are generally difficult to work on? And how do we know that they will last a million miles?

7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I know a few mechanics that have worked on some of these new motors. To date, the one that I have heard the best comments on are the new X15 by Cummins. It is essentially an upgrade of the ISX CM-2350. The compression ratios though are very high, in all of these motors. That will be the tell, how long they hold together with this higher compression. The emissions, to early to tell... I have yet to hear anything on the Cummins all in one unit, which I would say is a good thing.

20 Mule Team and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I got a PM yesterday and here's one of the DD15 boat anchors that dropped it's pick up tube.

The other has already been picked clean, and gone to the smelter.

A third was rebuilt. That's 3 engines drop pick up tube, lose main bearings out of 40 trucks.

20180818_101434.jpg

Young_Gun, mhyn, uncleal13 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    in two days I will post here fotos of dd15 1-box. The dpf was cracked and all soot was pushed into scr... The truck need new dpfs and 1 box... big bill . I have seen more than 20 engines like this...

10. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Wrench had a spare 1 box back by these engines that came out of one of their wrecked trucks. In fact I have parts on Casper from that truck lol.

But the salvaged 1 box is already in another truck.

11. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    I think a GIANT problem with the earlier engines, that got them such a bad rap, was the mechanics just hadn't caught up to the technology.

Just as you said, there's not enough feed back yet.

I'm not saying the wrenches are dumb, just the opposite, but you look at the volumes of information they have to absorb, then put into practice.

Now they have caught up, thus its easier to solve problems sooner, and diagnose problems correctly.

When I first got my truck wrench changed the DEF filter. Filter that actually filters the DEF. I had no clue truck had one of those.

I know he mother ####s those DD15's lol.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.