Is it worth is to become a diesel mechanic still?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Jbrow327, Jul 5, 2020.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Nope. There's a few things I've learned to do over the years but I couldn't really claim to be a diesel mechanic. A good diesel mechanic can fix anything...and I mean anything... on a truck and fix it right the first time. Anybody claiming to be a diesel mechanic that can't do that is directly insulting the ones who can.

650cat425 and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Lolz

I've got a fairly even mix of Craftsman, Westward/Jet, Mac and Matco. Next to no Snap On. Didn't like the dealer where I used to live. Plus that #### 3/8" long handle ratchet I bought off the truck seems to need a rebuild every 6 months. Kinda left me soured on them.

If you ever work exclusively in the field you tend to cry a lot less when you forget a $20 tool on the back bumper vs a $100 one when you're 2 hours into the bush lol.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Some people don't see the difference or don't think it is that big a difference. I know people who think Craftsman tools are expensive, I know people who buy Craftsman wrenches to heat and make their own specialty tools with and use Snap-on for everything else. I get what you're saying though, somebody who can't fix a bent nail won't benefit from quality tools.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I have a good friend who just retired from a diesel mechanic career. He thinks the dealer MADE him retire, to pay a younger mechanic less, and not worry about health ins. claims. Very common today, BUT, you can't go wrong. Years ago, any farmboy ( no disrespect) could get a job as a mechanic, and they made good ones too. Trucks and farm equipment were very similar. However, as trucks evolved, school is imperative, and like driving, you won't get a job without it. Beats trucking today with a stick!

A5¢ and 650cat425 Thank this.
  6. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    I agree on the job security ....I am not a mechanic but we are talking about adding our own shop and hiring a mechanic to service my 9 trucks .....someone that understands emmissions and can get it done ....we were pricing it at 80k a year min and I expect most of that will be on call time playing video games ....hell ill even build the game room ....we are even talking about sponsoring my son (16) or my nephew (21) through school just because they are more computer literate and so much of this crap is staying up on that side and being proficient in it

Selva Thanks this.
  7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Quality on the job training is where its at. Education is expensive. Get what you can out of local trade schools or local community college. I see a downward trend in the quality of the big technical trade schools vs dollars spent.

Find an employer willing to invest in you with on the Job training. A good employer will feed those who make them money. If your not learning something every day, tool boxes have wheels.

Trucks are not going away. We will always have logistics, drivers and mechanics to move product.

8. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Trucks aren't the be all end all either. I worked on trucks for about 2 years, the last 10 have been all off highway equipment. I've recently made a move to become more "specialized" by going to a shop that is strictly hydraulic components like attachments, building auxillary hydraulic systems, rebuilding/repairing hydraulic components etc. There's a huge world of possibility and variety in this trade.

9. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You'd think but trust me, there's always something to do around a shop. Mechanics at small shops tend to be jack of all trades. Could be grading the yard, washing the floor, repairing shop tools, repairing the shop, stocking/organizing inventory etc. No reason to not be able to fill an 8 hour day.

Computers are huge in the repair business these days and while yes you want someone handy with a laptop, real world experience is very beneficial. If I'm being honest, don't expect someone straight out of tech school to be handy with a wrench. Up here in Canada its a 4 year apprenticeship program with about 32 weeks (8 weeks x 4 years) of schooling and 6,000 hours of on the job work experience to become Journeyman certified.

It took me about 5-6 years of being a Journeyman to actually feel comfortable jumping in a truck and heading 4 hours up the road to get a machine back up and productive. Not saying anything disrespectful against your son or nephew but please don't expect them to be super tech right out of school. Its definitely harder to learn without someone experienced around to mentor them and answer questions.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Dino soar Thanks this.
  10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Find some old craftsman tools at a yard sale for cheap. Old craftsman is some tough ####.

Some ppl #### on harbor freight but for back yard mechanic they have some decent stuff and if ya bust it just take back and exchange it. 301pc tool box for like $149 with the coupon. Have one in each truck

Dino soar, loudtom and AModelCat Thank this.
  11. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    I tried to retire last December from 40 years as a truck and equipment mechanic. A local shop made me an offer I could not refuse to work two days a week.
    My tool collection consists of Proto Grey Craftsman Westward and maybe 10% Snap-on.
    Non of them have ever let me down.
    Over the years their have been some downturns in the economy But I always had a job. People did not buy new trucks and equipment they just kept paying me to keep the old stuff running.
    I took electronics courses at the local college in the early 1990s when electronic engines were
    coming out.
    I have no regrets I made a good living and would say I had a rewarding career.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.