Is it worth it to do teams?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by crazybread, Feb 24, 2017.

1. crazybread

crazybread Medium Load Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Is it worth it to do teams? I understand you make more but is it worth it doing that? Would that be something to get into after being with a mentor?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    You're gonna be living with that person 24/7 in a tiny living space. 8 year's ago when I did my training, I had 2 trainers over a 3 week period. Ist trainer was a drunk, 2nd was great, but seeing that I'm sorta sorta my self, I realized teaming wasn't for me.

4. TheRipper

TheRipper Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I ran teams for 3 months. Id advise against it personally. No matter how well you know the person, or how much you would make; can you live in almost-always rolling closet with another person, and sleep while being a pinball?

Truck driving lifestyle is rough at times, but teaming is a completely different animal...

5. crazybread

crazybread Medium Load Member

Jul 30, 2015
    What make you want to do it in the first place? If you did not like it why you did it for so long?

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm not sure where the notion that "you always make more as half a team" comes from. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. A lot depends too on where you're working at and how much "long freight" they have and how busy they can keep them.

Try and imagine having to sit cooped up together in a sardine can for 24 hours waiting on a load. Also, your chances of being involved in a serious crash effectively double.

7. TheRipper

TheRipper Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    We did a lease as a team. Cool guy, got along well. Better runs. Did a lot of relays to get loads running late to receiver on time.

Actual thought process was if we split the cost of the truck, we can make more cash.

While true, the lifestyle is so ridiculous IMHO

csmith1281 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    You should learn how to go at it alone before trying that.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  9. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    if you wanna live in a sleeper with someone you dont know, get your sleep while rollin down the road, hardly stop or if you want to stop you have to compromise with ur co driver all for the same pay or less than a solo, sure go for it.

10. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    unless you are the type who doesnt want to b alone in the trk dont waste your time.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  11. GenericUserName

GenericUserName Road Train Member

May 17, 2014
    Santa Monica, CA
    The only time I was able to make teams work was with a blonde chick for obvious reasons I won't get into..

As for the other 4 teammates I went through in the 13 months I was OTR, we almost killed each other....

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.