Is LTL your first CDL job?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Sep 26, 2012.

Was LTL your first CDL job?

1. *

LTL first CDL job

26 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. *

Prior OTR

26 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. *

LTL job after working as dockworker

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I keep reading threads on how you need a year of OTR experience prior to getting a local job. In my case, I landed my LTL job right out of CDL school. So my question is... Have you guys started out as LTL drivers? Most of the guys at my terminal were always LTL... Or dockworkers that got their CDL through the company, and then picked up a driving job when one opened up.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    My first driving job was in 1977 For FFE out of Lancaster Tx. I drive OTR Teams for 4 years with the same team driver. Dont know how i lasted that long with the same A-Hole!

4. Ryanb24

Ryanb24 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I only had 6 months otr befor ltl. Alot of ltl companies prefer experience due to some of the tight spots you get into. And props to you for not having to go otr, im glad I did tho got to see what its like.

5. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Never driven a day of OTR in my life. My friend kept telling me to suck it up and do it for the year. He kept telling me that after him being OTR for 9 years cannot land a local job. I was just stubborn and think headed and didnt want to do that. Thats when I landed my first LTL job. Im on my 2nd now and was hired before I had a years experience. Most of the LTLs say they want this much experience but they will budge. When I applied to Estes they wanted two years... took them about 6 months to contact me but I was already working for YRC when they called. Thing is that yard was shut down. It was owned by UPS when they bought out Overnite and closed that terminal down. Estes rented it from them. Now they kicked Estes out and are making it their terminal again

6. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Medium Load Member

Jun 20, 2010
    NC
    I drove casual (P&D) for Yellow when I was 19 till I got a full time driving job at a grocery chain when I was 20. That was back when it was all finger print with like 30 stops with a GMC brigadier without power steering...Man that sucked!!

Rideandrepair and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  7. Guitar Man

Guitar Man Medium Load Member

Sep 29, 2006
    State Of Confusion
    Hooked on with R&L fresh out of school. :cool:

Muttsley and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  8. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    My first job was sort of ltl. I went to work for a fleet owner and they pulled doubles cross country. We only went to about 5 different places and were home a lot. It was teams but I got to see the country. After a year of that I went to CF, then Watkins. Still was OTR but making a killing. After Watkins starting going bad I did a dedicated team run to NJ and back to CA every week. All my jobs have pretty much been line and drop n hook. To heck with that waiting in a truck stop crap.

CenutryClass and ACH1130 Thank this.
  9. bctc

bctc Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Ontario, CA
    I have not worked LTL but I'm not OTR either. I have worked local for my career so far and have been a tanker driver for the last 5 years. I plan on retiring from this company.

What I can't understand about OTR companies is how they keep employee's? Being paid less miles than they drive and sitting for free? I don't get it. I guess the world needs ditch diggers too.

10. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    That BS about needing a year OTR before you go local is a lie.

Who's spreading that lie? Trucking company recruiters, of course. If people knew they could start out local, running legal, making good money(a lot better than OTR once you count up all the hours and expenses involved) and sleep in a bed instead of a box in a truckstop...who the hell would fill the seats at these coolie carriers? :biggrin_2552:

11. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere

Most OTR companies can't keep drivers, That's why they are always hiring. It's also why you have these companies that will train people for free as long as you run with them for a year.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.