Is lumber transportation essential?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Metalicious, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    I am just wondering. Sorry if I posted in the wrong area, just wondering if transporting lumber like for UFP to home depot, lowes, etc is exempt from ELD under the disaster exemption?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tlalokay

tlalokay Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    It could be, however, you'd have to prove that to some DOT officers who are still putting drivers OOS for not having certain "stamps" on the BOLs and other strange requirements. Of course you may be able to appeal and remove the OOS eventually, but who wants to go through that?

magoo68 and Metalicious Thank this.
  4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    From the ongoing exemption from the Covid thing? Or the current exemptions in Tx and La from hurricane Laura?

5. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    From COVID. Not the hurricane.

6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    All trucking is essential. Some commodities allowed you to, for the most part, ignore the hours of service.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    I'll probably get this thread shut down for this, but where did you come up with this nonsense?! All of us flatbedders have gone over scales empty, and the scale master should have come out, right then and slapped an oos sticker on the truck right then and there! OMG, where do you guys make up nonsense like this?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    exhausted379 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Lumber ? Seriously ? Do ppl eat wood ?

Bean Jr. and Sirscrapntruckalot Thank this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Lunch counter conversations?

Back on topic...if your load is considered essential under a disaster declaration the shipper will usually know about it and will let you know. You'll usually get a copy of the declaration notice along with your paperwork.
    An HOS exemption is valid only for the actual disaster and almost always comes with a definite time line and geographic area.
    That's the way it works for us on the wildland fires, anyway.
    Don't fall for a shipper trying to tell you a load is essential if they or your company can't document it.

10. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    Nothing I haul is exempt from hos. Just another cog in making that exempt product. That doesn't mean it's not essential. I'm currently hauling liner for landfill.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.