Is now the time for a change? Should I go Over The Road?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Flatbedder 1966, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Flatbedder 1966

Flatbedder 1966 Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    MS
    I've been driving an entertainer coach, tour bus, for over 2 years now. It's been a good job. Met a lot of interesting people, been to a lot of great venues and stayed a lot of nice hotels but I'm just getting burned out on the cycles involved in the industry. There are times I'm gone weeks on end with no home time and then there are slow times where I sit at home for weeks waiting on a trip. I have no benefits other than hourly driving pay, which is definitely not up to par when given the amount of responsibility I'm dealing with. No health, dental or vision insurance, 401k, life insurance, etc. Big thing is ABSOLUTELY NO PAY whatsoever when sitting at home waiting but at the same time I'm expected to be available at a moments notice when called for any trip regardless of how short or long it may be. It's like being on call all the time. I have to drive 90 miles one way to pick up the tour bus each time and drive home the same. No mileage pay for that either way.
    I'm looking to go back OTR so I can have more pay and benefits and a more normal schedule if thats possible. I have several offers but have narrowed them down to just a few dry van companies in particular and honestly want some opinions on what some drivers that have been out there a while now think. They are Averitt Express, CalArk, National Carriers, and Hill Brothers. I have done tanker and flatbed in the past and have no desire to get into that market. If anyone has any opinions on these companies I'd appreciate you sharing them. Please keep your answers professional and on topic. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    This is good information Flatbedder, I always thought your job would be very interesting and fun. Thanks for shedding some light on it. Sorry, but I have no experience with the companies you posted. Good luck driver.

WildTiger1990 and Flatbedder 1966 Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    For dry van, I'd look at;
    Ozark Motor Lines
    Danny Herman Trucking - no Northeast runs.
    Raven Transport
    Milan Supply Chain Solutions - Click here for more info > Apply On Company Site
    UPS Freight Truckload - Click here for more info > Apply On Company Site
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ashley Distribution Services - Click here for more info > Apply On Company Site
    • Tuition Reimbursement - up $10,000 for Bachelors and up to $3,000 for Masters
    • Scholarship opportunities - for students of Ashley employees
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    National Carriers is refrigerated and they have a habit of passing on the good runs to teams. They might give you a long run, then after you hit the interstate, you get a message to go to some truckstop and meet a team there and swap trailers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    For refrigerated, look at:
    FFE (Frozen Food Express)
    Freymiller - www.drive4freymiller.com

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Flatbedder 1966 Thanks this.
  5. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    What are the odds of negotiating better terms with you current employer?

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Abilene Motor Express is a real good outfit:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you have connections in entertainment, you would think of large cars and special trailers going to venues. Supporting a tour for example. You will be driving OTR but at the same time you will be standing by (Hopefully with pay) in your big sleeper until the venue is reloaded and rolling to the next city. You obviously can keep secrets about celebrities and so on. ive run into a few in my time. Little bit of stardust I say.

You will have feast and famine in trucking. Some days or week or more you will sit. Espeically if you loud mouthed dispatch over something and they are giving you rope to quit by making you sit a week. Or longer. (I had that happen once. Maryland ruled in my favor because employer has work, did not issue any work to me and ensuring I cannot maintain ability to work and quit for cause. I got black listed from that company but it's still a victory for me. I lost nothing.)

Anyhow anything is possible but economically, trucking is the easiest way to make and lose money. You do what you can to have savings on every load you run in trucking because if you do not? Then when you do need money it's not there.

Flatbedder 1966 Thanks this.
  8. Flatbedder 1966

Nov 4, 2010
    MS
    NONE. They are not offering any better pay and will never offer benefits.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Flatbedder 1966

Nov 4, 2010
    MS
    I will give them a call. I live in North Mississippi so that may be a factor on what company offers me a position. These companies I've named primarily will keep me in the SE US.

SteerTire and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Best to call each company and ask. All the ones I listed hire Mississippi drivers and some may have Southeast Regional positions.
    Big-M Transportation in Mississippi stays eastern USA, I think. They do a lot of Northeast runs though.

11. Flatbedder 1966

Nov 4, 2010
    MS
    I know a few that run for them and they stay in the Northeast a lot. I’m trying to avoid the NE as much as possible. Driving a $2 million tour bus up there is bad enough inside those cities.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.