Are our plan realistic?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Johnny6767, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Johnny6767

Johnny6767 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Hi truckers. I am currently in-between work gigs and am waiting for COVID restrictions to ease up for my next job (it involves moving abroad).

My question is, how long does it take to get a CDL and is it even worthwhile in my situation.

Currently, my old man is getting back into trucking and asked if I want to do team-driving with him for 3-6 months before I leave the country. I have experience driving farm vehicles and we also have a semi at our disposal - he would help me practice for the driving test.

So in short, the route my dad took 7-8 years ago is self-study and then took the tests within a week (although he had much more driving experience than me). Is it realistic that I do the same? And also, is it even worth getting into trucking if it will only be for 3-6 months?

Also, I forgot to add, my dad would handle the logistics of getting our loads. Is there anything we would need to watch out for having a newbie driving? Or anything in general?

Candid responses greatly appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    IDK, sounds like a good plan. With your Dad taking care of many of the details of the loads and being around to help, I think you'll be able to pull it off fairly well.
    If you have the resources to get your CDL without having to fork over bucks to a school and go through some company's training regime, you're ahead of the game.
    I'd say go for it myself!!

4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Do it before the law changes in February. Much tighter restrictions on how you can obtain your CDL.

Johnny6767 Thanks this.
  5. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Three weeks and Yes.

I got a CDL in three weeks. With personalized instruction, a road legal truck and no distractions from the other students I could of done it in 2. Even if you went to a company or private school your first job would involve driving with a trainer for the first month or so anyway.

The only hitch I see is insurance. With no 160-hour training certificate and zero miles experience in a CMV it's going to cost a fortune to insure you. Still, if you can find a company willing to insure you with a little luck you could probably squirrel away $20k in three months

Johnny6767 Thanks this.
  6. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Waiting for covid restrictions is all well and good but you better get your CDL and get some training with your dad in the mean time. Way things are going you could be a long time waiting in the wings.
    Your dad could probably use the extra eyes and ears for the first couple weeks too.
    Man up, go get that money.

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Just one thing, you most certainly will start hating each other after doing business together and doing team driving.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.