Is part time trucking a thing?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Silidons, May 23, 2021.

1. Silidons

Silidons Bobtail Member

May 23, 2021
    Hey all,

First off wanted to say appreciate all the info on this site. My question, is being a part time trucker with zero experience (besides having a Class A) a thing?

I'm a full time Deputy Sheriff here in Southern California, but I got my Class A a few years ago when I was in between jobs and debated becoming a lineman. Through that, I actually checked out a lot about the trucking community and went down the rabbit hole, so to speak.

Now that I work patrol, I work a 3/12, 4/12 schedule, so I have three and four consecutive days off. I generally just do overtime one or two days a week, but it's taking a toll on me if I'm being honest. I want to do something that's not my same job all the time.

I just enjoy working. I don't need the money. The problem is, no one seems to hire part timers. I've called a few companies and they have told me they don't, and they don't know any who do. Hell, I'd even volunteer a day per week or something to gain experience, lol.

I know we have loads of gigs here in Southern California. I live about 80 miles east of LA. If anyone has any tips about how to get my feet wet, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    You can buy a truck and work on any of several decent self-dispatch programs, but I wouldn't recommend doing that with no experience. @Chinatown might be along to recommend some starter companies in your area that can work with your schedule. But another factor might be the hours of service, as some or all of your other job's activities might need to count against how much CDL driving you can do in a given week.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    Silidons and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  4. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Are self dispatch programs like load boards? DAT for example

5. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Many of them are, but not all. Schneider, USA Truck, and Landstar all have proprietary load boards you work off of. There's also smaller companies where you work off of public boards such as DAT. Then there's other systems where you work thru a dispatcher who follows your instructions, or wait for a call and give a thumbs up or thumbs down to whatever they're offering. Not sure if they're even technically called self dispatch, or it might be a flavor of unforced dispatch, etc. Everyone has their own system but most of the big players have a board of some sort nowadays.

Silidons and JSanborn103 Thank this.
  6. Slowpoke KW

Slowpoke KW Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2015
    OK
    Check with the local construction, paving, dump truck companies even the small one or two truck companies

Speed_Drums, Silidons, lester and 2 others Thank this.
  7. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I dont have names of a company. But know a few career firemen that did driveaway deliveries. Trucks, apparatus. Had a few part time that worked at a towing company I used to manage too. They always need nigh and weekend help.

8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Some of the better companies in trucking still have part time positions. My first career was a professional firefighter and I did trucking my entire career on my days off. I worked enough days to get pension credits on my part time job in the Teamsters. I worked full time in several Teamster jobs after retiring from the FD before I bought my own rig. ABF is just one company that does this. Frito Lay is another great company that works part time drivers if they have a plant near you. 4D6F7C2A-3B8A-49EC-94D1-FE6935A94050.png

kutscher, Silidons and slow.rider Thank this.
  9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Have you looked into driving semi’s for the Sheriffs Department? I’ve seen semi’s here local in SoCal. Cops are all in full gear like there in a patrol car. Thought it was pretty cool. Trucks were 389’s long hood and clean.

Silidons and slow.rider Thank this.
  10. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    I work 2-4 days a week. Check out agriculture.

little cat 500 and slow.rider Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Robertson's might hire you. This company has their own cdl training program also. Their trucks are for CDL-A drivers.
    ~
    Robertson's Ready Mix Home | Concrete & Aggregate Products
    https://www.rrmca.com
    Robertson’s Ready Mix is paving the way in technological development for the concrete & aggregate industries. To learn more about us, consider applying to boost yourself up for a solid future in a rapidly growing company.
    [​IMG]. upload_2021-5-23_15-37-28.jpeg

Silidons and slow.rider Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.