Is Ruan Transport a good company

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by ThisisMeUsee, Oct 15, 2018.

1. ThisisMeUsee

ThisisMeUsee Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2018
    There is a tanker position where I live and it sounds too good to be true.

$70k, Home Daily with an alternate shift of 5 or 6 days on, then 2 days off, 5 or 6 on again, then 3 days off.
    10-14 hour days of working.

Is that common?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. artek

artek Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2016
    NJ
    Seems realistic.
    Ruan has alot of dedicated accounts. Some of their business is milk tanker, battery store delivery, bulk gas tanker.. etc.

4. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    That sounds accurate. I worked for Ruan for almost 5 years. The company was decent enough, but it's a logistics carrier. The client account you work for will be a big determining factor in job satisfaction. Some accounts are easy to work with, others can be a nightmare.

My account was one of the latter. I routinely had company salespeople bypassing the Ruan chain of command trying to get me to switch up my delivery schedule to service favored clients first, among other things. It got to the point where I blocked all their office numbers and then their personal numbers when they started using those instead. It felt like I was caught between two feuding parents that only stayed together for the sake of the kids.

Buddy of mine worked a different account and loved it. It could be a great job for you, but do your homework. Talk to drivers on that account if you can, and see what they have to say.

bzinger and mathematrucker Thank this.
  5. Bigrayon

Bigrayon Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2015
    I don't work for them directly, but we are a sub carrier for them, on most of the account they have, if a company will pay just about any amount of to make sure there client is happy and not cry over the hit, that tells they in it to win it, I pull there trialer and the account trailer, and yes I have spoken with some of there driver, none have ever said anything bad about them, but as I said I am just in there from time to time, right now I am in NC helping them out with Publix, we just got back from SC, before that Topeka Kansas,

6. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Used to work at Ruan. It's going to depend on what account you are serving. Ruan is a behemoth of a company that operates like several different entities all reporting to the large corporate location. For example, as I mentioned in a previous post, Ruan used to do work for Praxair. In every sense of the word, you worked for Praxair. Drove a white truck pulling a white cryogenic tanker. It said in small nondescript letters, "operated by Ruan Transportation." It paid decent. So this is how it goes. Company culture? You're not going to hear from Mr. Ruan ever. He's over in Des Moines counting his 100 dollar bills for the rest of his life. Your experience with corporate and with Ruan itself will probably be limited to posters in the break room. Every terminal is going to be ran like it's own separate small company. So there's not much "Ruan" to working for them except that's the label on everything. You could go to a different location and it's a totally different company feel. Because basically they buy up any company they can, or outsource the fleets of other companies to their own drivers. You'll work for one location and all those guys/gals will say, "it was much better when this was still Praxair," or "this was better when so-and-so ran the place." They don't really do a lot of their own stuff, in my opinion.

7. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Does anyone have 1st hand experience with Ruan's battery account. Its also advertising 70K.

More so, anyone know anything about their dispatcher positions? Pay etc...

8. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    The Ruan account I used to work is up to a $10,000 sign on bonus for a m-f home daily job that averages 65-70k annual, and they still can't keep drivers.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. Exit310

Exit310 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    cullman,alabama
    I see their hiring for the Publix Warehouse in Bessemer,Al. anyone have info on this account? Do you stay on this account at all times or do they send you to another Publix DC somewhere?

10. woolybully35us

woolybully35us Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    ks
    I worked for them for 17 years, till they came in a week before Christmas an closed our terminal. never made that much. hauling dry bulk an containers.

11. Freak_On_A_Leash

Freak_On_A_Leash Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2016
    South / Central Indiana
    Same here for me the milk job is all over local searches. I wonder about that sign on I hear its more of a longevity bonus? Anyone got info on it?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.