Is Stevens Really The Best Training Company?

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by RoadDriver -Andre, Aug 27, 2012.

1. CommanderUsmc

CommanderUsmc Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Hey Richard...

Thank you very much for the info. I should be on the phone with the recruiter today... I will let you know how it goes.... Good luck with the shcool.. I am sure you will do well...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Old fart? Watch it buddy or I'll smack you with my cane!

Dryver Thanks this.
  4. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    This is the same logic as confronting a recruiter at Harvard and asking how many students are brought in each year and how many are there after 4 years.
    Stevens (like others) is a TRAINING company. Their mission is to train new drivers. Why not go ask most of the other companies, "How many drivers with no experience do you hire?"
    Stevens hires and trains, then those people move on.
    Like most companies that hire newbies, the greatest amount move onto other jobs outside the industry. Read this forum...how many times do you read something like, "...was laid off at my old job and haven't found anything in the last year. Always thought it would be neat to be a driver...."
    So they give it a whirl because they can drive a car ok, so driving a truck must be about the same.
    Now add in all the government money out there to 'retrain' workers and you have a perfect formula for people to come in and out of the industry.
    I guarantee you that if we did away with the grants, the free training and the 'incentives' offered by different state and federal agencies, there would be at least 75% less applicants out there.
    The insurance industy runs the trucking business, and the government is complicit with the insurance companies by setting more and more regulations that 'guide' potential candidates thru the process.
    Companies like Stevens take advantage of all that money.
    They have never said, "We want you for the long term."
    Let's face it...if no one quit, there would be no room for new hires and how could you be a training company?
    This thread is called, "Is Stevens Really the Best Training Company", not "Is Stevens the Best Place for Experienced Drivers".
    When you go apply at most companies, they expect you to know the rules, be able to back, drive, understand the DOT rules (in general), change lanes, do a proper PTI, etc, etc, etc.
    Where do you get that?
    A TRAINING COMPANY!
    I love these snot nosed know it all wonders that have driven for 2, 3 or 5 years that tell you how smart they are and how you don't need to go to one of those BFI companies, all the while forgetting that is where they started.
    So back to both the spoken and unspoken question from this forum:
    Is Stevens a good training company? In my opinion, ABSOLUTELY! There is no doubt that the training and experience you gain with Stevens is amongst the best in the industry and equips a serious driver with the tools needed to be a safe and professional driver.
    Is Stevens a company you can plan to work for a long time? Probably not. A few do, but most move on.
    I cannot begin to tell you how many drivers I have run into over the last few years that tell me (voluntarily) that they got their start at Stevens and they are in the good job they have now, in part due to the training and experience they gained those first couple years at Stevens.

Corporal_Clegg, Emolson, flue and 3 others Thank this.
  5. dewdirty

dewdirty Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Andre, I was with Stevens from my experience it was good for the training aspect of it. Just make sure that you are very comfortable with your trainer if not wave flags and contact your counselor ASAP!!!. The equipment is the best on the road. But with anything its not perfect by a longshot!! dont expect to get rich doing this because your feelings will be hurt. You will be sometimes sitting waiting for loads for days on end in the meat patch, get used to it. I used Stevens for a stepping stone to get something local hauling refrigerated products. The name Stevens carries weight with any trucking company trust me!!. Just keep that driver door closed and keep rolling and you will do just fine. Just remember YOU are the driver of the truck not anybody else. Take care and be safe!!!!

6. RoadDriver -Andre

RoadDriver -Andre Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2012
    State Of Georgia
    I can afford the bus ticket but the thing now is im spending more money. It would of been easier If they paid the bus ticket for me. A driver would not give me a ride unless they know me. Its not easy to find a driver to do that. I think I will be out on the 22 of this month, coming from Georgia around Atlanta area. When you was planning to go?

7. Emolson

Emolson Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Saint Louis (MO)
    Never knew if Stevens had a school in Colorado

8. CommanderUsmc

Aug 14, 2012
    Bad news.. I was told today because I am from California, they are not hiring anyone from California cuz they could never get me home. Also the recruiter said you also had a be a Denver resident...

9. Emolson

Aug 9, 2012
    Saint Louis (MO)
    You should also talk about that with your recruiter. You shouldnt be paying the bus ticket to go

10. Emolson

Aug 9, 2012
    Saint Louis (MO)
    That is a issue now. And why living in Cali would be hard to get you home. I always see Stevens truck around this state all the time.

11. CommanderUsmc

Aug 14, 2012
    Duno... that is just what they told me...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.