Is Swift transportation and trucking school on the level?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Meadow, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Meadow

Meadow Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2018
    First of all is Swift trucking school thought to be good training by other companies to the point they would have no problem hiring people that come out of it?

Reason I ask is I read an article that although it was dated several years ago, it claimed Swift was basically a trucking school scam outfit. According to him they recruit knowing they won't hire most or all they send to their school. That would be devastating leaving the student with having to pay back the debt with no job.

What schools are good, not too expensive, have a good reputation, will finance, with housing if you please in the mid section or southeast U.S.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I cannot answer to swift.

A long time ago, I forget the details... there used to be a number of schools that were essentially scammers. Those students were required to retrain and work towards passing again properly to be allowed to try for the CDL in state testing.

Arkansas sent a undercover to a school over a decade ago, and it was someone who had certain medical issues that will prevent DOT medical to be issued in those days... and had no interest in trucking with the intent to be failed by a good instructor in a decent trucking school.

The school pointed him towards the DMV for a license anyway.

That was when the Arkansas State Police showed up with warrants to gain into the main HQ office to capture and examine all of the students who ever attended them.

4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    On the level in other words legit yep sure they are being a publicly listed company in other words they are listed on the stock market exchange and you can buy shares in Swift Transportation if you so desire, as far as training goes you enter at you own peril compared to paying for your own tuition you'll have to put up with a driver trainer who really shouldn't be a trainer and for what ever reason is the one teaching you the right way to do things or should I say supposed to be teaching you the the right way. You'll basically work for peanuts till you get your debt paid back meanwhile the company is getting their freight delivered for a real cut price rate making there profit margins higher and helping the share holders get better dividends. Apart from all that you'll be fine.:D

5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I do not/have not/will not ever work for swift, but i think the issue here isn’t so much the quality of their school, but the (low) quality of the students they take on. So the statement that they do not hire most of their students could be accurate, but it’s likely because they get so many students who can’t pass a drug test, can’t pass a physical, can’t drive, can’t read, etc.

6. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    They're legit. But there are better options.

7. Amylovesdogs

Amylovesdogs Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Recommendations?

CJ701 Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which state do you live in? There may be half a dozen or more choices.

9. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Find a community college that offers a CDL program. They're usually heavily subsidized where in-state students are concerned. Mine cost $1000, when all the private schools were $5000+. And most of them will actually teach you something, rather than just teaching you how to pass the test.

10. Meadow

Meadow Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2018
    Thanks all for the help. I've looked into Community College but none in the area where I live and if I travel elsewhere, there is no lodging or it's very expensive. So a lot of out of pocket expense I don't have. Now am looking at Roehl because Swift has a lot of rules that seem over the top that could easily make someone fail and then they say they will give another shot if the driver pays another $750.00 which sounds scammish too me.

11. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Look Roehl's contract over closely. I've seen posts that if you don't make it at Roehl you'll be on the hook for 7k to 8k for the school and they also charge for the OJT training. That's how it's gotten so high.
    If you're looking at company training you may want to look at Millis, There are others too. There was just a thread on Titan Transfer that trains.
    Put what state you're in, it helps with people trying to give you options on training.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.