is there a good reason why trailers do not have backup lights?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NewNashGuy, Apr 11, 2012.

1. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    Because sometimes when backing into a pitch black area or inside a building, they would be helpful. Plus it would help 4 wheelers who do not understand why the flashes are on realize that you are backing up. Are companies afraid to spend the extra $30 bucks to add them? Before you flame me yes I know I can g.o.a.l and I can manage without them, but I just think it is weird your truck has them but not the traiier.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. frogmeister

frogmeister Medium Load Member

May 28, 2011
    fort worth,tx
    I dont think anybody is going to flame you for that question.Pretty good question if you ask me.Never thought about it myself.Maybe they dont want to give you a reason not to goal.

4. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    There's no room for the extra wire in the 7 way conector. Would need an extra plug

5. truckermario

truckermario Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Do a google search for a product called the E-Z Guider. I'm not sure how bright this thing is, whether you'll blind people backing up, but it seems like a good idea.

6. Gizmo_Man

Gizmo_Man Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    It may actually cost MORE THAN $30 for lights. You have to have wiring, you have to have fuses or relays as well.

When i worked for an LTL company, I had the mechanic install auxiliary spot lights on my driver side and passenger side steps, with a simple toggle switch on the dash.

In all actuality, 4 wheelers DO KNOW what flashing 4 way lights are telling them. They do after all, see a truck backing up. They also know that when they see 4 way flashers in a work/construction zone, that it means we are slowing down.

7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Backup lights are a recient addition to Class 8 tractors. Lots of older trucks did not have them. The NHTSA has not reccomended them and the DOT has not made it a priority. The days of higher voltage systems and the dropping cost of rear vision systmes may force a change away from the old 7 way plug connection.

Someday they may be required but until they are MOST carriers won't spend the money. W/ the improvements in white LED lamps the technology is there unless the 'central light source/fiber optic distribution' lighting concept, or some other multiplex system, really change things.

8. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    A handful of our older trailers have them, but they don't light up. I've tried.

Their not wired, their used as reflectors now I guess

Ethan

9. Countyboy

Countyboy Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Littleton, NH
    Having put/attempted to put them on an off road trailer since it is more often the. Dark on logging sites the issue is the wiring. I thought it would be easy to do even after my father told me it wasn't and was expensive. GET READY TO FLAME ME-- in my hastiness to execute what I thought at the time was a very smart and original idea, after all I'd never seen it, I got the lights and figured I would just splice into the reverse lights on the trailer (<--- yup seems I forgot there are none unlike in my pickup)

I have since mounted (2) 3' LED light bars on each side of the tractor and they help but arent perfect. Next attempt will be mounting same style bars to a braket on the outside of the front spikes of the trailer and wiring them to a simple plug wired into tractor back up light switch. Issues will be how long before the separate smaller/ lower voltage plug is ripped or shorted and how long before a crane operator whacks them with grapple head or stray log in the bunch.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  10. SteveBausch

SteveBausch Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    [​IMG] Zombie Thread Alert
    It can be done, depends how your pigtail is wired. Seven wires means there's an optional wire; nowadays it may power abs, etc.

Nothing to stop you from splicing into the running lights with a switch; Get Out And Look, flip "on" the switch, back up and turn "off" the switch at your convenience.

Me? I just bought the Wolo 6000 "See-More" worklight.
    LED lights, over 1000 lumens
    Magnetic mount.
    Rechargeable by 110v or 12v (both chargers included)

I plan to attach to DOT bumper when I'm backing into that last (dark) spot at the truck stop, at 2 am.

If I include a link I'll be accused of spam...
    Found on Ebay, Amazon, etc.

But not at truck stops, it seems :-(

11. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    That seventh wire IS for the ABS. There is no longer an extra wire in the 7-way plug.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.