Is there a short list of schools / companies to absolutely avoid

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by John Blackman, Aug 14, 2014.

1. John Blackman

John Blackman Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Can anyone suggest some good schools? I've been hearing schools range anywhere from $1800.00 to $7000.00 In this industry is it you get what you pay for? Are some schools just out to take your money? I would rather sign with a company for more money if it means I'm getting better training. Please help me make the best choice. I just don't know what to believe. The more research I do the more confused I become.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Put where you live in your profile...general area...this is the first step to others helping you become less confused.

4. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Millis Transfer has a good company training program.

Rotorzilla Thanks this.
  5. wanttotruck

wanttotruck Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2014
    DFW
    You do get what you pay for when it comes to CDL school.

I've heard stories of guys who went to "discount" CDL schools, or company sponsored school with CR England and managed to get a CDL without knowing how to shift gears properly...

I paid $5,000 for my school (Truck drivers institute, Dallas) and feel it was worth every penny ($6,000 if you financed through them) I learned more in school than I did with Werner in "training"

As for companies to avoid, CR England, Swift, Werner, the same ones you will hear named time and time again.

6. John Blackman

John Blackman Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2014
    I live in Riverside, CA 50 miles east of Los Angeles

7. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    If you play your cards right you can get a leg up on most that just respond to the ads. I'd first look at the company you want to work for. Good money in LTL and Tankers. Check with the companies that look good and ask them what they want. Ask them where they see drivers come from.

8. unholy7

unholy7 Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2014
    you really cant go by what truckers say about companies 99% of the time the driver brings pain on themselves. just carry a good attitude and work with your DM as much as possible. stay with your first company for a solid year it looks better when you go for a job requiring more experience.

as far as picking a school my mom is an instructor with 20 years exp in trucking before she started teaching. class size isnt really as important as student to truck ratio. you really dont want more than 4 students per truck on the road and 6 per truck in the yard. you want to maximize your time behind the wheel before you head to the dds. if you see a class of 24 students and only 2 trucks on the yard and 2 on the road avoid that school like the plague.

9. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2014
    You're supposed to learn more in school than in training.

Training is just to polish off the skills you should have learned in school.

I prefer the nepotism route for obtaining a cdl... but we all can't be so lucky.

10. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Grrsh Dangit, had to google that one, nepotism

ˈnepəˌtizəm/
    noun

• the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Pick the cheapest one that's at least 160 hr. course.

If you know which company you want to work for, call and ask which school they recommend, from the ones in your area.

Contact Schneider about their tanker division. I read recently they fund private CDL school if you agree to work in their tanker division. Don't know if their tanker division hires out of Riverside or not, but ask them.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    PikesPeak Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.