Is there any reliable Medium duty trucks, should I buy new or used

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by 92057mail, May 26, 2019.

1. 92057mail

92057mail Bobtail Member

May 25, 2019
    Trying to start a local same day delivery business, Im trying to get this furniture company to contract me for there local deliveries. that being said I'm not sure whether I should go with a 16 foot box truck 26 either way I'm have my CDL class A, but just want to know whether I should buy a new or used I'm not sure if my business is going to be hit or flop, so taking on that big debt is a bit nerve wrecking but at least you get warranty with it but with a used truck no warranties I really don't know what I'm looking for or get into I saw trucks that were good price and then came on here and read a couple forums and realize they're good price for a reason. Like a DT466, heard it has alot of problems the hino268 same thing also the inter cf 500 has major issues, is there any reliable trucks out there. Also seen alot of 90's box truck for sale would those be good to start with the fact that they are still around is amazing but then again they're so old that just might be a matter of time before they die

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    buy a very good, DOT inspected, and hopefully warranteed used truck. if you do well, and start needing another truck, maybe another used one..

try not to buy new right off the start......just in case the business never takes off.....

4. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Why don't you lease a truck from Penske or Ryder and give it a try. If it works out then buy a truck if not just walk away.
    If you can't make money with a leased truck you won't make money with your own truck neither.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  5. 92057mail

92057mail Bobtail Member

May 25, 2019

That's true but my business is definitely not going to be that big from the start where I could be wasting 1500 to 2500 a month let alone weekly, from what I heard those are the prices, because on top of the lease fee they charge you per mile, so in less than 6 months I can be wasting more than $10,000, but then there's used trucks like the isuzu npr. And frieghtliners m2 2000-2006 that sell for 10k and have me thinking as long as the trucktruck me a couple months it wouldn't be too bad because at least I'll get some of the money back if I sell the truck , and even if It breaks down on me i can still sell it as mechanic special. I guess this is a problem with trying to be an entrepreneur when you're such a penny-pincher and trying not to lose money, although here's aN idea if I buy a slightly new truck from a dealership(2015ish) and only use the truck for about 6 months and just keep it till I pay it off with little use maybe just drive it on short weekend trips to keep it running and not just stored all those years would I be able to get most of my money back just from what I see trucks don't deprecate like cars do, I would be able to afford the truck payments,

6. 92057mail

92057mail Bobtail Member

May 25, 2019

Shooooot they better be if they're asking for 20grand for a 1997. Also would you know if there would be any insurance issue like higher rates because I read most trucks 1998 and earlier don't have abs systems, so I'm not sure if I started a business when I be required to have abs on my trucks since I need that one million-dollar liability insurance for commercial driving

7. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    do you have class a with air brakes?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.