Is there professional justification for needing a laptop as a truck driver?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by will7370, Aug 12, 2009.

1. will7370

will7370 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    I will be going to truck school the first week of September. I have found out that in connection with my vocational rehabilitation training, I can get US Dept of Labor funds to buy me a laptop computer----IF I can provide professional justification that it is needed on the job.

Help me out here folks. Am I going to have to stretch it? Can you give me professional justification for needing a laptop computer as a truck driver? Are we required and/or/able to maintain logs, or records, or anything connected with our profession on a personal laptop? Can it be justified?

I know personally it will be used a lot for email, web surfing and watching movies on the road. BUT, I need to professionally justify it.

Can anyone help me here??? :biggrin_25511:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Well, if you buy Microsoft Streets and Trips with the GPS, it can double as a navigator/trip planner. You can download free maps for it that have a lot of the Pilots, TA's, Flying J, etc. in it. Also I downloaded one that pinpoints the scales.

Also, if you attach a printer to it, you can put Drivers Daily Log on it and it can be your log book.

luvmyhubby Thanks this.
  4. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

• A laptop can be used to run various logging programs.
    • A laptop can be very useful in obtaining weather and road conditions.
    • A laptop can make paying your bills and running your finances from the road very easy.
    • A laptop with the proper truck mapping program can be a very useful tool when used in conjunction with your atlas.

5. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    You most likely will be going to a company that has Qualcomm, onboard computer to communicate with your company. But you can't do anything else with it.

The company I work for does not have Qualcomm so I use my laptop to communicate with my dispatcher a lot of the time. You could use the justification that you could end up at a company without a Qualcomm and need a laptop for better communication.

Otherwise, I think using it for maps, Google Street View, Bing Bird's Eye View, etc, is enough of a justification. Sure there are paper maps. But you can much more "professionally" plot your course and do recon on a location with the computer and internet.

6. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    I just started in the industry a few months ago... and i find my laptop to be a very useful tool especially for directions...plus when yu r sitting yu can surf the net to kill some time..i wouldnt leave home without it...

7. kkburr73

kkburr73 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    • A laptop can be used to run various logging programs.
    • A laptop can be very useful in obtaining weather and road conditions.
    • A laptop can make paying your bills and running your finances from the road very easy.
    • A laptop with the proper truck mapping program can be a very useful tool when used in conjunction with your atlas.
    I agree with leannamarie. I wouldnt leave home without my laptop I use mine to pay bills. Talk with family. Check weather. And so one.

kkburr73

8. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    I use mine for all that and send in payroll, expense reports, pictures of things the boss needs pictures of, etc. It's also a backup cell phone and mp3 player. I actually have two now, one's in the back for entertainment.

9. cherokeechief

cherokeechief Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Gilson, il
    well as others said, you can use it for those and you can use it for personal use also.
    but, if you buy one, you can claim it at tax time as a deduction. software you buy like mapping, or even making it into a gps unit, logging, and even using it for book keeping, all of those software programs can be deducted at tax time when you itemize.

10. ship71021

ship71021 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Louisiana
    The laptop. Never leave home without it. I'm so use to having mine that it's just standard.

11. LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger Banned for spamming

May 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My laptop is absolutely indispensable. I do all my trip planning and navigation via Streets & Trips on my laptop and use the Windows Live Local feature all the time to see a bird's eye view of my shippers and consignees and also to see super Wal-Marts I plan to shop at to see the best way to enter them. I also use the Windows Search Live feature to find hotels and to get discounts.

I use Driver's Daily Log to do all my logging on my laptop and I also do all my paperwork and send in all my trips and expenses via my laptop, my scanner/printer, and my aircard. I simply could not function without my laptop.

I also use it for entertainment to watch movies, to play games, to do instant messaging, to send and receive emails, to send and receive faxes, and to cruise the Internet. I have two mega external hard drives that I store all my movies, TV shows, football games, games, and music on, and I also play DVDs on my laptop to watch new movies I don't have stored yet.

I also download books and certain radio shows on my laptop that I then transfer to my ipod to listen to when I'm driving. I store all my pictures on my laptop and upload them to the Internet via my laptop. I also edit some of the videos I take on my trips on my laptop. I couldn't imagine being without a laptop.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.