Is there something wrong with CFI-Conway-XPO trucking

Discussion in 'Other News' started by supersnackbar, Oct 28, 2016.

1. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Trucker61016 and paul_4lp Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OTRReeferRunner

OTRReeferRunner Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    A little of all above! I drove for Conway truckload back in 2015 for 30 days and quit. I found that the truckload side was poorly managed and was just a overall rag tag company for such a well known name in the industry. The KW T660 was wore out and had a lot of mechanical problems the day I was assigned to the truck. (ABS, Frontend alinement, qualcomm, tires). They didn't have any westcoast truckload terminals to have the some of the repairs done and to cheap to take it to a KW Dealer or any other repair shop. They want to route me to Joplin Mo. to have the repairs done which they never did the whole time I work for them? Most of the company trucks if not all the company trucks have super singles (I hate them) with one active drive axle, the second drive axle is a dead axle. Basically a tag axle. Poor traction in dirt drop lots with large pot holes, or mud, snow, and slick pavement. At the time, they alway tried to route you to a Conway freight terminal (LTL terminals) to get fuel. (No Showers) So trying to rack up shower credits on your rewards card to take a shower at a truckstop was nearly impossible. They also lack truckload terminals to get truck repairs done. I believe they only had 5 terminals at the time and was closing the terminal in landcaster TX. They also had a new concret drop lot outside kansas city in the middle of a corn field with port-o-potties? To cheap provide desent restrooms! The poor security guard sat in a old landscape trailer with no wheels setting on blocks and hot as hell in summer with no windows and no A/C! All the old CFI trailers were old, beat up, and were junk. The qualcomm was a big, clunky old MCP100 and froze up a lot. I had a lot small pay checks because of the consistent relaying of loads. Also the rate of pay was worst then swift! There were many issues I had with Conway truckload, so this doesn't surprise me that they had a hard time finding someone to buy them. I'm glad I left when I did!

Wouldn't recommend the company to any driver!!!!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Toomanybikes and tucker Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    We deal with an XPO logistics run warehouse outside of Allentown. If the XPO company as a whole is ran like that distribution warehouse, drivers and carriers can expect VERY LONG delays so that the dock workers and office people can be assured good hours.

They are very efficient on some fronts (staging product) but go out of their way to make sure no productivity output baselines are raised in the load-out process.

LoneCowboy and Toomanybikes Thank this.
  5. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    XPO is only interested in the LTL side of Con-way, which it is keeping. It's only selling the truckload side.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/xpo-log...ness-to-transforce-for-558-million-1477598581

6. sharkswitlazers

sharkswitlazers Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Riverside County, CA
    Hey man, I'll have to be blunt here, what you are saying is completely false.
    I have been driving for them since early 2015. They are not perfect, I am not here to defend them, just to combat some bad information for the general public.

-I am never, and have never been, routed specifically to a LTL yard for fuel. I do follow a fuel route, and I always have shower power on my pilot card. Sometimes I fuel at corporate in Joplin, but that's once in a few months or so.
    Yes, the trucks aren't all new, but I have seen MUCH worse. I have a 2015 T680 that I got with 160000mi on it. It now has well over 250k. I have been in the shop, but usually for petty repairs (like an axle seal, usual maintenance, etc). 90% of the time I have work done at a Petro or TA because of how minor it is. I NEVER have an issue getting repairs done. When it's done at a TA, I don't even have to call them first. I just show up and do the good 'ol E-Shop.
    Now I have been to a dealer a couple times as well. Once was for an alignment (the previous driver was way too hard on this poor tractor) and once was for AC. Once again, I am not here to defend the company, just here to clear things up. I never had any issues whatsoever getting into a dealer and getting a hotel during my shop time. The AC took four days (yeah, KW is slow, they suck) and I relaxed in a La Quinta while getting layover pay. Sure, layover takes 48hr to take effect, but it was something.
    You also mentioned they are mismanaged. Maybe you had a bad fleet manager? Honestly, mine is great, she is very polite and always has an immediate answer when I need help. I'm sure there are bad ones, but I have no issues there. I also know if you don't like your FM, you can easily get a different one.

Sure, there are days when I am planned on a load with not enough time to drive to make my appt. That happens once every 3-4mo or so. I simply call and explain, and they take care of it.

Don't get into accidents, don't show up late, don't be a jerk to office staff, be professional and they will always have your back.

Some weeks my miles are low. Some are awesome. That's the name of the game.

Pay isn't worse than Swift hahaha. That was comical.

I'll be clear again... I'm not here to back them up. I know there are supertruckers on this forum who would love to start an argument with me over it. The company isnt perfect, but they have been good to me. There are a lot of veteran drivers with the company that will agree. Some won't. You only gave it 30 days, you should have stuck it out and gave it a real chance. That goes for any company.

Oh, and yes, their Qualcomms suck! They said they are investing in new ones, but we'll have to see about that. And as far as terminals, you are correct, they don't have a lot of them. That's just something you have to deal with.

As it stands, I will not be quitting unless I go local. As far as OTR goes, I'm here to stay. XPO didn't plan on selling the truckload division, they were approached with an offer and went with it.
    I know the name of the company now, but I am not sure if that's confidential, so I will not say until XPO/Conway makes it publicly official. That only seems fair to them. I personally am glad they're a solo company again and have the authority to make their own decisions, vs having to go up the ladder for answers.

7. OTRReeferRunner

OTRReeferRunner Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I'm going to be completed blunt with you! Every thing I'm stating is the complete truth and I know you know I'm telling the truth! I was hired in may 2015 went through orientation in Phoenix Arizona at the quality inn conference room. Took the driving test at the Phoenix Conway freight terminal where they kept conway truckload trucks because truckload side didnt have any terminals on the westcoast.

In regards to route through terminals to get fuel, 65-70% time I got fuel at the conway terminals. (Mira loma, Denver, Benson Az, and others) the load planners would state were to get fuel in the load info.

As far as sticking it out. I made the best moving by leaving because I switched over to pulling reefers with another company and making way more money than I made at conway and I don't sit, I'm constantly under a load. Between 3200-3700 miles per week hauling meat & produce and get home on time.

Another thing I hated was the medical benefits they offered me. After 60 days of employment I would recieve minimum medical and I would have to wait 1 year of my hire date to receive my vision!

My goal was to transfer to Conway freight (LTL) pulling double pup trailers, (Local line haul) but after I realized they had driver face cameras. I said that's the last straw, I'm done, I'm gone!

These are some reasons I left after 30 days. As I said before would never recommend the company to anyone!!!

8. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    I worked for Con-way TL right out of driving school back in 2011. Lasted three months. Money was not great. I got put into a brand new Prostar after three weeks with the company. My biggest issue was lots of sitting around waiting on loads. My fleet mgr was awful.

9. sharkswitlazers

Apr 27, 2015
    Riverside County, CA
    Yeah, the money is low starting out when you finish driving school. It goes up the more miles you make with the company. I don't sit much but sometimes it happens.
    As far as the purchase of the company goes (the original topic of this thread), not sure why it keeps getting bounced around. But I wouldn't assume it's because no one wants to deal with it.
    Sucks your FM was no good, mine is great. Hopefully all is well with your driving situation now

10. sharkswitlazers

Apr 27, 2015
    Riverside County, CA
    I'm not going to argue on here, simply because that would be like competing in the special Olympics.
    I still completely disagree with you, but hey, no one has the same experience. If the company was as bad as you say, there wouldn't be drivers here that have been around for decades.

Btw, I am from California, and I had orientation in Joplin. Not sure why you were at some conference room in AZ.

The fuel route, up until January this year, was fully optional. You didn't have to fuel at an LTL terminal... Pretty sure you knew that. We have to follow the route now (at least 70% of the time), and I still almost never fuel anywhere except PFJ.
    Regardless, glad you're in a better spot now.

11. Stormy 69

Stormy 69 Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Confusion
    If I drive for them can I go to Walmart and get some mailbox letters and put my name on the drivers door too ?,,, can I , can I ? Please?,,, it looks soooo classy I want in

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.