Is this common?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ultratowel, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Ultratowel

Ultratowel Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Going for my dot physical here in two hours so I can start school on the 20th. Is t common for nearly all the companies I cna go with to require me to do another dot physical? Or will most accept my current one until it expires?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You can probably expect to do another pre-hire physical at 70% of larger carriers who hire new drivers.

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    no company has to accept the DOT physical you present to them. the school requires the DOT physical. it may not even be a thorough one but a haphazard one in which not much is done, but yet, you gotta still pay for it.

as a result, many companies want you to go to thier doctor usually at orientation time, where the drug screening is done as well.

just go thru the motions. they pay for it.

Ultratowel Thanks this.
  5. Ultratowel

Jul 7, 2017
    Yeah I just have high blood pressure so the less physicals the better...

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    however, some employers not only send you for thier DOT physical, but also a physical agility testing as well.

so beware.

also, NEVER volunteer too much information, and NEVER answer any questions "YES" regarding sleeping habits, like for instance, that you like to take a mid day nap......!

they will send your butt into a sleep apnea test, on your dime.....

when you get OLD like me, you WILL TAKE mid day naps, afternoon, naps, evening naps, and deep sleep naps......ALL NORMAL......!!!!!!!

lovetwodrive and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    Do you get a 1 year card? If you're treating it I don't see the issue. If you're just trying to skate through, that could be a problem. Eventually you'll get failed.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    For insurance. purposes companies are going to want you to do another physical perform by their doctor then register that med card with your DMV.

9. Ultratowel

Jul 7, 2017
    I’ve lost about 15lb in the last two mknths and if I continue on it my blood pressure should resolve itself. My doctor only yesterday gave me a 21 day supply of some BP meds to get me on track for the physical for school... that’s why I’m concerned if other companies will want me to do it again. I have very little doubt that I can maintain this lifestyle change I made and continue to drop weight and have my bp back to a normal level regularly.

10. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    When I left the oil field I took a job that I ended up hating, made it two weeks. They made me get a new physical. That physical was about 17 days old when I started a different job. That company sent me for a new physical. I went to the same clinic, got to see the same doc, same everything. But the new physical was "their" physical and they paid for so I didn't really care.

11. Ultratowel

Jul 7, 2017
    Well I’m heading to go do my physical now...wish me luck...

austinmike Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.