Is this legal??

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by D.Tibbitt, May 19, 2020.

1. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    LOL, yea those boys dont get any REAL exercise anyway....:D

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    It doesn't make any sense to me...

All the weight is way above the tie down points. The angle of the chains isn't working/strongest in any direction that the weight of the actual load is going to want to move.

I'm sure the amount of chains is legal for the weight "by the books"... But it seems there isn't any consideration for any leverage bieng applied from the offset center of gravity of the load.

Not that I'm saying I know what I'm talking about.. more of a question.

lester and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Ahh, the angles of the tie downs don't coincide with the center of gravity of the load or where the "attachment points" are located.

I have no doubt it's Legal, as it only considers weight.

That load would piss me off if that's all I could do.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    We have air-ride trailers nowadays.
    Sounds like some antiquated reasoning to me.

I don't think you can fit enough engines on a railcar to provide the weight to compress the springs enough for a smoother ride.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Its not about smoothing out the ride. It’s for the vibration and shock that goes through the load that is still there through the deck. Just like how if the truck is parked and running you can still feel vibration if you touch the rear of the trailer. The chains will vibrate and send noise and harmonics through the cradle-car on up through the engine. The military and engine manufacturers engineers along with the RR came up with that method decades ago to help minimize the harmonic stress to the engines during shipping the best they can. My father in law was a aircraft engine maintenance supervisor at Kelly AFB for almost 40 years before the airforce pulled out. They brought them in and out for the C5’s and F16’s on railcars like that all the time.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    No tie-downs can touch the engine or the suspended frame unless you want a 200k insurance claim.if hauling an engine for repair or rebuild it is best to double tarp to protect from moisture. Normally new or repaired will be shrinkwrapped before mounting on the transport frame. You have to drive like you have a high centered load or a sloppy liquid load.

D.Tibbitt and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yeah, I don't buy it.
    We aren't transporting it on a railcar with stiff springs, not a trailer with spring suspension.

If the engine can't handle the vibration from an idling tractor trailer motor then how hand it even hold up to the forces it will be subjected to in flight?

Yeah, right....

9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Well, that's one way do it. Just throw indirect tie-downs right over the top.

Not what I was talking about.

10. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    You can be skeptical. That’s alright.
    You could chain a chair to the deck and ride on an air ride trailer and see how much vibration you still feel through the chains.
    Aircraft engines is one thing that is very sensitive to outside forces when it is not in the plane during its thing. Kinda like beating a torque wrench on the ground a dozen times and than using it to torque your main caps. Lol.
    I don’t know the story on @D.Tibbitt’s load but most of the engines that have been completely overhauled or are new are usually in an enclosed crate on the cradle-car. Usually the ones going out to be overhauled are shipped like this one in the open so to speak. But even with the bad one’s they don’t want to damage them because that may cause failure during flight later on.

kylefitzy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I don't think the vibrations will be coming through the chains. It will be coming through the deck of the trailer.

Are they trying to keep the securement loose? So it can bounce on the deck?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.