Is this legal?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Light Load Member

May 5, 2019
    San Diego
    On my Lowbed I have 2 Hella value fit 2000 lumen flood lights wired into a 4 way that also has my beacon wiring
    we are always working at night they are on a separate dash switch. they work great will never be without them on a trailer again.
    I did run those same Par 36 rubber housing lights for years and would never go back to them just not enough light

Dino soar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    20201012_235136.jpg 20201012_235123.jpg very easy to turn night into day with just a few LED lights. LED'S run very low amperage and are super bright. You will most likely have to add another cord to you trailer to power them unless you have an older rig that doesn't use the center pin to power ABS. I think pre 96 didn't. This trailer I have one 7 pin aux cord and one 9 pin aux cord and I use everyone of them for different functions. The 5 work lights are all on one switch and I think a 20 amp fuse

Coragran Thanks this.
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I set my truck up to run the center pin to power the ABS so it will self test, but I can run another cord for the lights.

Do you know how many lumens those lights are or what brand they are?

I have been reading about the Hella lights @Arch Stanton spoke about but I don't know that I found exactly what I'm looking for it because I think I need flood Lights to back up.

Some of them say close range and I would think I would need the long range.

5. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I do not know the specs on those lights, they were on the trailer when I bought it. The light bar on back looks to be just something you could buy on Amazon or Walmart. Check out your local farm supply store. For a van trailer I'd probably justbget a 24 or 36 inch light bar. They will really light things up. Some of them have flood and spot integrated

Dino soar Thanks this.
  6. beardeddriver

beardeddriver Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2020
    that would be about 160 feet

Dino soar Thanks this.
  7. beardeddriver

beardeddriver Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2020
    thought about getting black light for that reason, to make the lines glow in hard to see places

Dino soar Thanks this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I have one on each side trailer back. They're wired to the trailer lights. And have a toggle switch.

In the beginning they were nice. But the toggle switch corrodes really easily. Don't have a need for them now. But they're still there just in case.

Used to have a spotlight also. It was angled to light up the valves and sight glassanger. Tanker.

Just make sure wiring is nicely insulated from the elements. Or they won't last.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I used Hella Valuefit. I got them off Amazon. They have a lot of different styles. The ones I got are the 6" LED bar/pod style and they are a lot better quality and light output than the Chinese knockoffs I've put on my personal truck. Not much more either, like $30/pair.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
  11. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    No idea on how bright it should be. But have you thought about lining your drive area with those cheap lights powered by the sun, just as a temp thing?

Dino soar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.