is this tire still ok to run?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by gunner76, Nov 17, 2013.

1. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    I was checking my truck over this morning and found a screw in one of my steer tires. I pulled it out and found no leaks but I'm still a little worried about it since it's a steer. The tires still have 17/32's left on them and the screw went into the inside edge of the outside rib and drove in until it was flush with the tread. The screw is long enough to go through the casing, but it must have went in at a slight angle since there are no leaks. I was curious to see just how far it went in so I took a pick and slowly pushed it into the hole the screw made and when I moved it around it felt like I was maybe contacting one of the steel belts a little bit. Is this tire safe to keep on the steer axle? I have to leave early tomorrow so it will have to do for the next trip, but if I have to pull it off I could do so after tomorrow. If it was a drive I wouldn't give it a second thought and leave it alone since I've run a tire out that had a deeper puncture than this one has and didn't have any issues, but things are a little different with a steer since there is no backup.

XZA3__EVERTREAD_X.jpg here is a cutaway picture of the tire I got off Michelin's website. The screw went into the inside edge of the last wide rib and if I was feeling steel belts it probably just entered the area that is colored purple.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    I don't see why it would be an issue. If the screw went all the way through, you would just have a patch put on the inside that is only about 3/32" thick and it would be OK. If you are just in as far as the belt, you should have more thickness than a patch. If you are worried, you could take the tire off, push a pick all the way through the screw hole to locate it on the inside and put a patch on it.

gunner76 Thanks this.
  4. snowblind

snowblind Heavy Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    conover nc
    not leaking run it

gunner76 Thanks this.
  5. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Gunner are you a O/O?

gunner76 Thanks this.
  6. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    The problem is that even if the steel bead is not physically damaged it could now be exposed to dirt and moister that could result in deterioration.

gunner76 Thanks this.
  7. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    If there is no leak you are good to go. You can legally patch a steer tire once only.

gunner76 Thanks this.
  8. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
  9. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    THIS would be my concern. Moisture = rusted and broken steel belt eventually. If it's not leaking I'd maybe put a plug in it, keep an eye on it and roll.

10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    My personally...........i wouldn't run it on as a steering tire.
    When i have something like this,i put on 2 new steers and put the used pair to the side to be used later on my trailer.(that way i lose nothing)
    I have seen the effects off blowouts with steer tires and it isn't pretty.
    Not worth the risk.

If you had a in cab tire monotering system ,it would be less off a risk.

123456 Thanks this.
  11. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I'd swing by a tire shop and ask, just to be safe. If there are no signs of damaged belts, I'd use some cleaner & air to clean and dry it, push in some tire patch glue to seal it up and keep running it.

wore out Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.