Is this typical of a Covenant driver?

Discussion in 'Covenant' started by nascarchuck, Feb 11, 2014.

1. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Today (2/11/14) around 10:30am I was in Ft. Worth, TX at the intersection of I-35 and Westport Parkway. I was behind a Covenant truck and we both turned west on Westport Parkway from northbound 35. The Covenant truck never attempted to stop at the stop sign under the bridge. He just blew right through it like it wasn’t even there. This stop sign is in plain view. Funny thing is there is a police sub-station in the little shopping center at that intersection and at least one DOT officer is stationed out of there and he was there at the time.

Anyway, I continue to follow the Covenant truck to the intersection of Westport Parkway and Intermodal Drive where we both turned north. At this time there was a Stevens truck about ½ mile ahead of the Covenant truck. Covenant built up speed that I estimate well above the posted speed limit closing the space between him and Stevens. Stevens turns on his left turn signal indicating a left turn at Railhead Drive and slowed down to make the turn. Covenant never slowed down as he passed Stevens on the left side even though Stevens was in the process of making a left turn.
    I was not able to get a truck or trailer number but I assume that the Covenant driver was either going to JC Penny DC or the BNSF Railyard.

Is this typical behavior of a Covenant driver? I hope that the safety department at Covenant is able to track this driver down and discipline the drive as this behavior is unsafe and unacceptable.

Unfortunately I am not able to find an email address for the safety director or even the safety department at Covenant so hopefully someone in safety will see this massage.

Arkansas Frost and Swamprat55 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    I see that kind of behavior every day, from most everyone it seems.

tow614 Thanks this.
  4. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    I am pretty sure the driver has a "valid" excuse for everything you described.

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    This person didn't want to wake up the co-driver with any unnecessary abrupt movements. :rolleyes:

6. frankgh

frankgh Medium Load Member

Oct 8, 2013
    NW Florida
    I don't know if you can pin this on the company. Can't every barrel have a bad apple or 2? I'm new and don't work there but it seems to make sense.

7. Cowmobile

Cowmobile Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    The hammer lane....
    That's typical for about every mega company freight hauler.

Raiderfanatic Thanks this.
  8. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Im not trying to pin the whole company. Im sure that 99% of their drivers dont do crap like this. But after what I witnessed I would love for the safety department to try to track the driver down (maybe they can, maybe they cant) and take disciplinary action. If this driver worked for me and I could prove the allegations, that driver would be looking for another job. I know that we all do bonehead things from time to time but those actions were flat out unsafe and stupid.

skellr Thanks this.
  9. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    oh come on theres many older drivers who drive bad. and pinning it against the company as a whole is wrong

truckinmike1984 and skellr Thank this.
  10. FlexinTarzan

FlexinTarzan Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Stanfield, OR
    Unfortunately Friend, occurrence's like this happen all the time across the industry. I could go on about the Stevens driver going over Donner Pass the other morning with just Parking lights on and Raining, Naw, I don't throw ALL Stevens drivers under the bus because of this one. No sense in giving yourself elevated blood pressure, he said/she said will be the outcome. Now a dashcam could put weight on ones story.......

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  11. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Sounds pretty ordinary trucking for FTW TX. Now if he did all that while in reverse or standing on the step it would be remarkable.

BigBadBill and 123456 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.