Is trucking worth it?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Solo Soul, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    AGAIN, I ask: why are you so enamored of Kentuckians? Do kindly share with the class, Frankie...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    You’re not of the body, are ya? If you were of the body, you’d find the answers you seek. But, what the hell, I’ll point ya in the right direction.

You go put the bite on a Floridian and then go suck the life out of a Kentuckian and tell me the difference ain’t like night and day. The difference is as large as the difference between a bottle of Ripple and a 70 year old picture perfect merlot.

4. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    To what do you attribute the difference? Humidity??

5. Solo Soul

Solo Soul Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2021
    On top of a hill
    I learned so much in just one day. I will keep coming here until I have 5 years of trucking experience lol.

Speed_Drums and Just passing by Thank this.
  6. Solo Soul

Jun 9, 2021
    On top of a hill
    Oh, after that I will come to contribute.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well I’m not going to tell you to the waters fine and you can jump in.

what I am going to tell you is this, this industry is one of the most dangerous. It is a hard life for many, and there is so so much more out there to do.

We don’t have an issue with a lack of drivers, we have an issue with a lack of drivers who are steering wheel holders. The industry is dominated by large companies, but driven by the small and medium fleets. The turnover highest in any industry, even fast food isn’t close to it and driver abuse is rampant. One reason why this needs to be a second career or having an exit strategy so you don’t end up homeless or broke,

there are other industries that give you a skill, we have huge gaps in many industries that are good alternatives.

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Whatever you decide, nows a great time to get into a Trade of some sort, or Trucking for that matter. I can’t think of a better time, considering the shortage of Workers. There’s Opportunities right now. A lot of places are more likely to Train Workers right now. Good time to get your foot in the door. Whatever the Job.

frmerdrslmer and Solo Soul Thank this.
  9. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Short answer: yes!
    I started at 40 years old, 5 years into it my husband had a stroke. I became the sole breadwinner in the household. We kept the house, we kept the cars, we kept the pets, we kept the same phone plan. No drastic changes, just a little more budgeting. All thanks to my CDL.

This forum is filled with awesome info, a little entertainment and some bickering. You will be alright.

abdogg1684 and Solo Soul Thank this.
  10. Solo Soul

Jun 9, 2021
    On top of a hill
    Respects. Thank you!

11. Highwaydrifter61

Highwaydrifter61 Light Load Member

May 5, 2019
    After 38 yrs. of running 48 and Canada I'll say this.
    If you want to make money in trucking you need to get into a more specialized type of hauling. Generally, you won't make "huge money" running a dry van. Most of the money i made was hauling hazmat and or hazwaste in end dumps,rolloff trailers and liquid tankers.
    I'm not saying you can't make money hauling other types of freight im just saying thats what worked for me. Also if you want local work fuel hauling and cryogenic bulk liquid tank (liquid oxygen,nitrogen, argon)work pays well.

abdogg1684, 201 and Solo Soul Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.