Is upgrading to a class "A" worth it??

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by central mi., Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. central mi.

central mi. Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2007
    First of all let me say how glad I happened to run accross this forum. I have learned a lot about some companies that I thought were reputible only to find here they are not. I currently hold a class "B" license and my company was bought out and the new company closed our warehouses and moved them out of state. Now I am considered a [dislocated worker] ; and my state is willing to pay for me to go back to school to upgrade to a class "A" so I will be more marketable. I have only driven in 2 surrounding states and have never been to NYC and don't care to . Some of the horror stories I have read here make me wonder if it is a good idea to upgrade with all the wait time involved at shippers and recievers ; being treated like crap by dispatchers and never getting home as promised. I have always been home every night and usually had most week-ends off. Maybe I am just scared of change ; [just turned 50]; I just don't know which direction to take. Been a driver for 23 years so it makes it hard to decide what to do next ; Forget driving and try to get a factory job if I could find one ; or to keep looking for another class "B" job for another local job. There have been only 3 in the last month that I could apply for and did ;but to no avail. I just don't know to do at this stage as I start school march 12th. Any imput or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moriarti

Moriarti Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2007
    NW Indiana
    Assuming you're financially stable enough to go to school for X amount of time, do it.
    The state will only offer to foot the bill for school for so long.
    You can still CDL-B with a CDL-A.
    in general, the trucking industry doesn't care about your age.

4. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    Education and training looks good on your application for any job. At age 65, I am working an easy part-time job. As a matter of pride and job security, I maintained my HAZMAT, double-trailer and tanker endorsements allthough I am certainly not using them now.

5. MrHeatmizer

MrHeatmizer Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2007
    I maintain my Class A with HazMat and doubles, triples and tankers just "in case".
    If the fates smile on me, I'll never drive OTR again, but....there's always the peace of mind in knowing..."if I ever had too".

So, my answer is YES get your class A, even if you never use it, you'll have it "just in case".

6. central mi.

central mi. Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2007
    Thanks to those of you that have already given imput ; I really do appreciate it !!

central mi.

7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

I no longer drive. I keep my Class A as well. One thing to remember though if you have not used your Class A in awhile you might be looking at a refresher to get hired. No recent Grad, no recent OTR and you hold an A than means refresher.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.