Is Watsontown Trucking Good?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by BigTime1980, Jul 9, 2022.

1. BigTime1980

BigTime1980 Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Herkimer, NY
    I have been looking for an OTR/regional position without mileage-based pay. Also, getting home for the weekend is important to me. I want to be able to go to church on Sunday. I saw an advert for Watsontown Trucking in Milton, PA, offering hourly pay for drivers in a regional position. I applied for that, did a drug test, and long story short, I'm going to orientation next week.

I saw an attachment in an email that mentioned something about "Cell Control". Sounds creepy. did a Google search and is IS creepy! That is a device that disables my phone when the truck is rolling. It works by connecting to the vehicle's diagnostic port, and an app in the phone that makes it unusable, but you can still receive calls.

I have a lot of resentment for the hand-holding and nannying that characterises the industry, these days. It makes me angry. Sometimes, it gets in the way of me doing my job. Honestly, this kind of crap makes me suspicious that they treat drivers poorly or fire them for petty reasons. In my experience, companies that hold your hand the most are the ones that treat you the worst.

Obligatory, I don't mess around on my phone while driving. I don't text or play games. I hate texting, anyway! It's a pain, trying to type on a touch-screen with my fingers! I do use my phone to play music or podcasts. I also use it to navigate with a trucking app, and I try to avoid traffic congestion.

I've done some searching and I haven't found much. There are some bad reviews (of working at Watsontown) that bring up things I am concerned about, and there are mentions of poor equipment maintenance. I've also seen some positive reviews that talk about the hourly pay and how great that is.

What is their equipment like? What speed do they run at? Does the cruise control turn off if I turn on my windshield wipers? Do they have driver cams? Is there any way to avoid the Cell Control thingy? I don't want to put something that is probably a bunch of spyware on my phone. I'm kind of spooked about that, and the more I think about it, the less I like it.

If they aren't too bad, and I can make the kind of money they're advertising, I guess I can tolerate some nannying for a while, but I really DON'T like it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    All the equipment I have seen the last few years is new or newer.

4. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    You should have asked all these questions before scheduling orientation.

5. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I’m gonna use this thread as a jumping off point for a rant and I hope OP doesn’t mind. It drives me up the wall bat #### crazy when companies just think they can use your phone for their ####. Majority of people (sadly myself included) are walking around with $1,000 dollar phones, and they think nothing about having you install a bunch of crap on it for the job. If they do some sort of phone reimbursement, that’s fine. If they provide the phone, even better. I did a broker load for a former employer years ago and they wanted me to put on some app to track me so they could see where the load is. Go #### yourself. Call my company they can bring me up on one of their many tracking devices on the truck and they can tell you. I’m not wasting my data and bogging down my phone and getting some spyware glitching virus just because. Anyway, sorry had to get that off my chest. Anywho, I know nothing about the company you just applied to @BigTime1980 but I’d say if they have that kind of cell blocker technology, they have cameras and your take on that and what you’re comfortable with is yours and yours alone. Again tho, that’s just a hunch. Best of luck.

JohnBoy, silverspur, Bean Jr. and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    They advertise 80-100k here in PA. They run Macks and Volvos, all decent looking trucks, they run either 65 or 68 mph. Dry van and flatbeds, also decent looking. Haven't spoke to any of their drivers. If a company was jamming my phone signal while I'm driving that would be a definite no for me. I jam out to music and talk on my headset a lot

7. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    No amount of money would be enough for me to accept that. It's no different than a tearless retina peering into my face all day. It's a hard pass.

8. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Yeah, it's ridiculous..
    If everything else fits the bill, I'd buy a $20 burner flip phone. Tell em that's your one & only phone, & let them mouse around with that thing..

9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    The watsontown drivers I've talked to at con agra in milton penn all seem happy .

Bean Jr. and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  10. BigTime1980

BigTime1980 Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Herkimer, NY

I've been thinking about getting a new phone for work, something a little more basic. I do want to be able to run some apps, but it doesn't need to be a feature phone. I like the idea of keeping my personal/private life and my work life separate, especially when that includes banking apps and stuff like that! I really hate how every store, every gas station, and now employers want to force me to load another app on my phone, as if its memory isn't already full from all the other apps I had to load, and use my data, to do something I used to do offline, so they can mine me for data and sell it to advertisers.

There are other concerns, but this phone thing has got my attention. If the pay is on-point, I'll deal with that for the time being. I've had a harder time this year finding a regional job that pays good. Everything is mileage pay. I know that's common, but it's a lousy way to get paid, especially when it's zip to zip! You can easily drive 50 miles for free getting paid that way, and that doesn't even mention getting robbed in traffic, at docks, or by a dispatcher splitting your load and taking away a nice 1500 mile trip so you can hang around for a day 300 miles from where you started and wait until the next day to be told to pick up the loaded trailer you spent the night beside at a drop yard and take it back to the terminal you left from! After getting burned a few times, pretty badly, I refuse to drive for mileage pay. Funny thing is, when I am on a daily rate or something like that, they keep me moving.

This year, I have also seen a lot more misleading advertising! It's way worse this year! I don't just see "Make up to $xyz", I see adverts all the time for positions with guaranteed minimum pay, but when I contact the company, they only have CPM available, but they keep running the adverts. I'm hoping Watsontown is different in that regard. At least when I contacted them, they didn't change their story. I might have to tolerate some BS in order to get the pay I want.

silverspur and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  11. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    They're all the same. The only way you're not going to get screwed over on pay is if you can find a local job paying hourly with OT after 40. Trucking has been done for a very long time. The carriers have become tyrannical and the third world drivers have ruined the culture.

Ever considered moving materials? I bet there's a construction company that could use a dump driver or looking for an individual to move equipment from site to site. I bet you could even make better money and live a better life driving a local straight truck. You could also look into the LTL companies around you.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.