Is Your PTO and ELD Synched?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Frank Speak, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    An O/O from Illinois showed up to deliver aluminum oxide something or other where I was delivering Portland cement yesterday.

We were talking while we were unloading and he was asking me about running local with the ELDs. I told him it was no night and he was telling me it messes him up sometimes.

He said when he engages his pto, the ELD automatically kicks to “on duty” status. I told him ours don’t do that, but that I log on duty when unloading because, well, I AM working.

The ELD in his truck (he’s leased on with Beemer, Reemer?) is Peoplenet.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I wonder if his pto is hooked up some how that the speedometer shows speed when he engages it?
    If so that should kick the eld to the drive line.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    We run peoplenet, but not a single truck in our fleet, both owner & company does that.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  5. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    Running PeopleNet here and it will stay off duty if you engage the PTO. Happens sometimes where I don't even realize it until safety gets on me about "working while off duty." I have to go on duty first and then engage the PTO.

6. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    No, he said it kicks to on duty. I’m guessing it’s intentional though because he was asking me about my camera (I have a KD Links I bought awhile back). He said the company put some other camera in his truck and that their safety person can get videos from it.

7. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    It would make sense for compliance. Looking on ours (peoplenet we do not have PTO's) there is a spot in engine data for it. Would not be real hard to see a program linked to ELD side.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  8. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    Yeah, I’ve never had Peoplenet so not familiar with them. I used to have Qualcomm when I ran OTR and, even though I was running reefer, I remember it having a PTO tab.

9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    It is possible that the eld can read when the pto is active thru the data link that it’s hooked up to.
    I know when you plug in a lot of trucks with a scanner you can read pto active or inactive.

Frank Speak and 06driver Thank this.
  10. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Yeah looking through this it has stuff for seatbelts use (says N/A) diesel level, DEF level, ambient temp, top speed, headlights.....

I guess being tied to the brain of the truck it can track just about everything the truck does.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  11. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    Oh ok, I see what you mean.

Hulld Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.