ISO job Florida-coast to coast, produce, reefer companies. No NE

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ruudhompsor, Aug 9, 2018.

1. ruudhompsor

ruudhompsor Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2017
    I recall seeing a post on here about reefer companies that run produce coast to coast. Florida to PacNW to be specific. It seems produce is great for long runs, correct? I can't seem to find the post so I will inquire here. I currently am under contract with a mega and have 7 weeks to go, after which I will be looking for the "perfect" job. I want LONG hauls, the longer the better, no Northeast if possible. I love driving out west. I have limited my search, up until recently, to dry van opportunities. But in doing said research I have come to realize that reefer is where it's at if long hauls, coast to coast, are your thing. I am very much aware of Danny Herman (dry van) and they are currently at the top of my list, but it seems long haul opportunities for dry van are very limited. So, now I'm becoming increasingly interested in reefer co's. I am based out of Memphis, TN., am hoping I can, from this post, compile a comprehensive list of co.'s which specialize in long hauls. Thank you in advance for any and all info. This site has been a great resource for me. I've asked many questions and received great advice. Someday I'll have the experience to pay it forward, giving great advice and insight to those who sit in the position i currently find myself (newbie). Thanks again!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    If you’re looking for long haul and west coast, produce is definitely a good place to look. Lot of apples outta Washington, potatoes outta Idaho and Colorado, and everything you can imagine in California and southern AZ. Plus you’re already on I-40 so that’s a bonus.

ruudhompsor Thanks this.
  4. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Holland Enterprises, not the highest pay but the miles are there
    Heyl
    Magnum, although they have a few quirks

ruudhompsor Thanks this.
  5. ruudhompsor

Aug 28, 2017
    I lived in Seattle for 12 years (loved it), lived in Tucson for 14 years (loved it), currently split my home time between Little Rock and Memphis (DON'T love it)... so, the more time I can spend out west the better. South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California. These are places which make me very happy as a driver.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Benny Whitehead Trucking
    Freymiller
    Dynamic Transit
    MC VanKampen Trucking
    K&B Transportation
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I love the Southwest too; so I moved from Tennessee to Nevada.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    M.C. VanKampen covers 75% of the country excluding the East Coast. Some of our main destinations are: California, Arizona, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Texas, Georgia, Alabama.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    ruudhompsor Thanks this.
  7. ruudhompsor

Aug 28, 2017
    I came across an MC Van Kampen post on here a couple days ago and of course I do see them on the road from time to time (nice trucks). I took a look at their website but it says nothing about minimum experience required. I also called their recruitment # but it was after hours, will try again. Maybe I am way off here, but they seem to me like a co. that might require more experience than I currently possess.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I think you need 12 months experience for MC VanKampen.
    K&B might let you slide with 6 mos. I've seen ads for both 6 mos. and 12 mos. experience. They also have guaranteed minimum weekly pay.

9. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    From what I’ve seen, K&B will let you slide if you have a pulse. They always drop and hook at a shipper I see everyday. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve stood there while loading up my tractor and watched them back into the fence, hit other trailers, hit the building lol, etc. About once every 4-5 weeks I hear a noise and there they are crunching something up lol. I have to always disconnect from my trailer because if I don’t I’m afraid they’ll destroy my truck.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  10. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    There’s a produce-hauling company outside of St. Louis, MO called All-Star Transportation. Outta Pacific, MO. They run west coast and then either back to STL or if you wish, they’ll let you take your load all the way across to Pittsburgh or Cleveland, typically Pitt. They govern trucks at 75 mph so you can easily run 700+ miles a shift most days. .45 cpm to start, .50 for hazmat loads. They have guys that only run Washington and others than only run California. You have the option to do either and Washington is the most miles and no 55 mph speed limit like in Cali.

They typically hire drivers within 100 mile radius, but they did have a couple drivers that lived in Arkansas that just stayed on the road for a month at a time (by choice). You aren’t allowed to take the truck home, it has to be brought to the terminal for maintenance, which they do an excellent job of. And that’s why they prefer locals but if you don’t mind the occasional commute they won’t care that you live that far away. They take great care of their equipment and have nice, late-model trucks. The old ones they have go east, if you run west coast you’re guaranteed to have a new truck basically.

I worked there 3.5 years on paper logs and made good $. You will get miles if you want them. An option you can look into, they’re nice people. Family-owned and operated joint.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    It's hard but not impossible to get produce loads coast-coast running solo. Most majors want teams. FYI. Kennesaw and Quest out of Ga. do the run, but with teams. good luck:lurk:

JTAN and TravR1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.