Issue with my company, will this count as a service failure?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by paccarmike, Aug 21, 2021.

1. paccarmike

paccarmike Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Washington
    So I brought my truck into the company shop and went on vacation for a week. Came back and the truck has a check engine light and an airleak. I told the dispatcher to take the load off me which would be delivered tomorrow morning and turned down a loaner because I'm not sleeping in a dirty loaner. Obviously no one will know what the company will do but I'm guessing it'll be a service failure. Will that service failure follow me to another company? This is the 2nd time the shop gave me a truck with a check engine line. I talked to the terminal manager about this stuff a while back and the problem still hasn't be fixed (shop foreman issue). And no I am not going to say what company I work for other than it's a mega carrier. I've worked here for a year and a half.

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    If I were you my main concern would be that the terminal manager claimed he couldn't do anything about the shop foreman.

Puppage, Kyle G. and Malt Ball Cult Thank this.
  4. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Yeah that sounds like a service failure to me... not sure that it will stop you from getting another job though. I wouldn’t want to sleep in a dirty loaner either, but you could have agreed to take the loaner if they put you in a hotel or something.

Regardless, it sounds like this company (or at least this terminal) has some issues and it’s time to move on.

paccarmike Thanks this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I can believe that actually.

At my company the shop and terminal are 2 different “divisions” so to speak.

6. paccarmike

paccarmike Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Washington
    Yea there is no way they would put me up in a hotel if I have a sleeper. That's why I turned it down. I've taken a loaner many times from this company and all of them are nasty. Either smoked in or just plain dirty with moldy food and crap everywhere. I recently quit smoking so I truly don't want to be around it. Where's Hunter! Haha

austinmike and Kyle G. Thank this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Our company is the same way. The terminal manager might be able to do something about the shop, but it would take going up the management tree several levels to do it. Heck I'm not even sure by the time it gets high enough said manager is even in the same state as us.

8. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    I could believe it too except the OP specified mega carrier. That makes it harder for me to believe.

9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Service failure? What the heck is that? They hold it over you if their truck is junk and can't do the job?

News flash....it's called #### happens!!

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    So I guess the choice you had was paying a night in a hotel and an Uber yourself, or take a service failure that’ll follow you around for years?

baha Thanks this.
  11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    It’ll never get any better.
    Go to Schneider, one thing there is safety, when I pulled otr tankers, you got 6 days a month off, I’d come in every 3 weeks and tell them whatever was wrong with truck, they’d ask in shop when you were leaving out, and it’d be fixed before you return to work.
    No swapping trucks for a loaner, I never had an on the road breakdown, if you get a bad truck there, it’s from a driver not reporting what needs to be fixed to the shop.

SoulScream84 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.