Issues with quality of life in a truck?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by CuriousBetsy52, Sep 15, 2020.

1. CuriousBetsy52

CuriousBetsy52 Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Hi there!
    I'm an engineering student working on a long-term class project where I need to develop a solution to a common problem in daily life for people in different professions. After a little searching around I decided that I wanted to investigate the trucking industry and see if any of you guys/gals have some Quality of Life or practical issues that you regularly encounter with your job that you think some sort of contraption might be able to solve. Flipping through the forum has already told me that health and posture are some common complaints, given how taxing driving for long periods of time without stopping can be on the body, but I'd like to steer away from that, considering how many people have already attempted solutions to it. If you have any gripes about things falling out of their holders, inconveniences in your trucks' design, or other trucking-specific complaints, please post them here so that I can see them and try to find a way to make your life easier.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    A more eco friendly and driver friendly way to heat and cool the cab when the engine is off.

4. CuriousBetsy52

CuriousBetsy52 Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2020
    That sounds interesting. What's the current method while the engine isn't running?

5. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    A portable sink/toilet that actually allows you to wash your hands with clean water.

It has been difficult to find a place to wash your hands and use the bathroom during COVID-19..

CuriousBetsy52, LoboSolo and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    A seperate smaller engine that runs a generator to power A/C... Or a couple big batteries.... Or you just freeze in the winter and bake invthe summer. This last one is probably the most common as companies wont spring for the other options and they program the truck to shut off if it doesnt move for 5 mins.

Someway of having super efficient yet sturdy solar array built into the truck would be amazing.

Lite bug, Dave_in_AZ and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    The good heat comes from an oil furnace (espar). Not going to get much more efficient than that. And proper insulation makes a world of difference. Arctic spec trucks are good.

My dream is a sink. It'd be so nice to be able to work with a sink instead of a jug of water. I've considered just making one with a 12v pump and a 6gallon water jug, maybe a second for grey water.

Dave_in_AZ, D.Tibbitt and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  8. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    I saw a few new Volvo 860s with a shower/toilet/sink combo fitted in to the stock sleeper. However, I assume you lose all the storage on that side.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    Couple different things come to mind.

The biggest factor is that trucking is, by nature, a pretty sedentary job. You sit on your butt most of the time or sit/lay in the sleeper. Yea, some jobs involve physical activity (flatbed, tanker, local deliveries) but most don't. This leads to laziness and many of the other quality of life issues like body aches and pains, poor eating, etc. Gotta be active once in a while, at least get out and walk around.

Food is a big thing, without the equipment to prepare meals and ability to properly store food, many drivers resort to just eating fast food. Laziness causes people to not want to prepare meals even if they can. If you own your truck or your company provides an inverter, you can get around this pretty easily. A slow cooker and/or other appliances, a small fridge or chest freezer, or, more expensive portable freezers.

Posture somewhat depends on the seat and it's position. Gotta get it comfortable. But again, inactivity leads to being sore and stiff and your seating wont change that.

A good mattress is a key thing to good sleep and reduced back pain. Most trucks come with pretty crappy mattresses. Like just a slab of foam.

I think storage can be somewhat of an issue, but that largely depends on how much you want to put in the truck. I pretty much live in my truck so I have it packed full of stuff, it's like a small apartment except for not having a bathroom.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I've done all sorts of cooking to try and save money. I often cook using an induction cooktop, but I've also used a 17" blackstone griddle which doesn't need electric. The biggest problem is time. It all takes so very long. Cooking and eating, then cleaning and putting everything away.

All the inconveniences just take time and imagination to smooth out. There's a large number of creative folks with their own one off inventions in trucking. The sink I mentioned could be some elaborate setup, or a large tupperware container to wash things in.

The biggest issue I foresee is marketing.

gentleroger and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I would like somebody to make a shower setup for the inside of regular sleepers. It sucks tarping something , getting dirty as heck and the elogs strand u from the truckstop .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.