ISX 15 Knocks under load

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Andreybanyuk, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Andreybanyuk

Andreybanyuk Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2017
    I have a 2011 International with 300k miles with ISX 450 making knocking sounds occasionally when going up a hill or putting it under acceleration load. Also the oil filter is getting clogged up after 8k miles. Pressure of oil dropping to 30psi at 1500 rpm, I end up just changing the oil and it goes back to 38psi like normal. I still have a extended warranty for another year or so. Please advise on what I should be checking when I take it to Cummins dealer.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    You could have carbon packed Pistons.. Only way to fix that is a rebuild. How much oil are you using? Also yes a Cummins dealer is IDEA but remeber.. They charge EVERY HOUR they touch that truck. a Dealer has a book time they use... extended warranty only cover book time

Andreybanyuk Thanks this.
  4. Andreybanyuk

Feb 26, 2017
    Before it started knocking it used 1 gallon of oil every 10k miles, so it wasn't too bad.

5. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Sounds like it could be a worn cam. And the overhead is out of adjustment, which could lead to more carbon being produced which is filling your filters and lowering your oil pressure.

Just a thought

QUALITYTRUCK and Andreybanyuk Thank this.
  6. Andreybanyuk

Feb 26, 2017
    I had an overhead set at Cummins 40k miles ago. According to the report the camshaft was in excellent condition.

7. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Yea well, I don't know then. I just know that motor produces A LOT of soot and it really helps to run a by pass filter of some kind to help limit the soot

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Knocks are usually from over fueling injectors. A cut out test under load would be good way to find out which one is causing it. Here is some stuff from Cummins about oil consumption.
    TSB 150163- Excessive Lubricating Oil Consumption on Engines outside of warranty or extended Coverage Period

Some engines may experience an issue with excessive lubricating oil consumption outside of the warranty or extended coverage period.

Please reference Technical Service Bulletin, Anti-Polishing Ring Cylinder Liner Release to Prevent Bore Polish and Elevated Oil Consumption Caused by Piston Top Land Carbon Packing, TSB50069.

Please reference Technical Service Bulletin, ISX15 and QSX15 Early Life Oil Consumption Caused by Vertical Liner Lobing, TSB140030.

To address excessive oil consumption issues on engines outside of the Warranty or Extended Coverage period in a more cost effective manner, a specially formulated lubricating oil, Valvoline™ Premium Blue Restore™, has been developed. Valvoline™ Premium Blue Restore™ can potentially reduce lubricating oil consumption rates on the affected engines by removing deposits from pistons, piston ring lands, and other engine components.

The use of EDS is highly suggested even when engines are outside of warranty or extended coverage periods.

I know your truck is under warranty still, but part of the process for a warranty repair due to oil consumption is to document it. Cummins has a form for this that you need to fill out.

Attached Files:

baha, dustinbrock, SAR and 2 others Thank this.
  9. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    It's a guessing game, but I think you have a cracked or a piece of a piston has broken off. Happened to an ISM we had last year. Used it for about 5 months before tore into it and found issue. But was the same symptoms you are describing.

10. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    If you suspect carbon packing then try out the valvoline restore. If your hearing a knocking, it's definitely not the top end. Top end taps, not knocks.

11. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the easiest diagnostic tool...........a oilsample.
    Get one done asap.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.