Isx 600 series coolant loss

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Jayrod79, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Jayrod79

Jayrod79 Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Howdy
    I have a 2007 Pete with a sig. Series 600 isx. I have been putting 2 to 3 gallons of coolant in a week. I see a leak around the egg cooler towards the front that does drip but looks crusty all the time even after hosed off. Mechanic said he sees it and that the exhaust manifold around injector 1 looked to have a leak? He was worried about coolant in oil or the liner bit couldn't tell unless he took it apart. I'm obviously don't have the money in a owner operator . Oil is not cloudy engine had a inframe about 60000 miles ago. I habe a loud noise like exhaust back air or something with change of rpm mainly uphill coming from engine area down low . White smoke out of passenger stack on idle and sweet coolant smell. Black puff out drivers stack when the noise or loud burp or cough happens???? Any help would be appreciated. Also any chance blue devil or vertex would buy me sometime?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Perhaps something in the EGR system..

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    My guess is EGR cooler if its leaking out from where there should be EGR air flow.

5. Jayrod79

Jayrod79 Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Yeah I'm thinking so to. I'm pretty sure it's bad without even taking the back apart to check for coolant. Its leaking out the front side even. But i need to take a load Friday and this has been going on for a month. I don't want to ruin the engine. But i need to make money to fix it. And i hope the cooler is the only problem . I habe heard mixed reviews on the coolant stop leak products . Although some swear they work.

6. Mike250rs

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Avoid the stop leak stuff.
    I had an '08 ISX 600 and it had EGR issues before 300k

7. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    If you put a stop leak product in there, not only will you be fixing what ever was leaking to start will you will be cleaning or replacing your radiator and cab and sleeper heater cores.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If it is indeed the EGR cooler, that small drip is not your 3 gal/week loss. You're burning it.

Mechanic in a bottle isn't a miracle fix and is probably going to cause more issues than it will fix.

9. Jayrod79

Jayrod79 Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2020
    I'm worried about the white smoke coming out the stack on passenger side . I am not a mechanic just barely shade tree. Bit im assuming that could have something to do with my coolant leak . It has gotten worse I believe since my egr seems to be in complete failure?

10. Jayrod79

Jayrod79 Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2020
    So how is it burning it ? Just trying to understand what I'm ruining in my engine .

11. Mike250rs

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    some coolant is mixing with your air intake when it recycles the exhaust gasses.
    It will affect your performance like having water in your fuel when the EGR decides to leak back into the system

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.