isx overheating

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by CTC1115, Apr 15, 2013.

1. CTC1115

CTC1115 Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2013
    i have a 2005 9900i with the isx engine. i am having a slight overheating problem. i put it in the shop a month ago and they fixed everything except the main problem, which is the reason i brought it in. everything else i could have fixed myself. it is a vacuum truck with a lot of idle time. during this time the temp starts to rise to 190 and sometimes right at 200. it does break 200 on occasion. if i turn on the heater in the cab it goes down. i did notice that the fan seemed to be spinning slow. i checked one of my other trucks (identical truck) and the fan is obviously spinning faster. i disconnected the airline that ran to the fan clutch from this electrical air dump thing by the steering shaft on the firewall. when disconnected the fan spins much faster and the temp drops. my question is, is there a sensor or something that tells that air dump how fast to spin the fan or maybe it is the air dump itself? i also checked out thermostat, it is good.

thanks in advance for the help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The fan comes on at 207 for those engines. You may be just not letting it get hot enough for the fan to kick in automatically.

4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    It's possible you have an issue with the fan clutch solenoid

5. gregor

gregor Light Load Member

May 13, 2011
    chicago,il
    hi , had same problem, replaced temp sensor ,checked clutch fan and some ohter things....then some mechanic told me to change temp. control module (dont know if i call it right) it is on left engine side, between ECU and fuel pump ,it looks like big black plastic electrical plug ,with 5 or 6 wires maybe a bit bigger of zippo lighter .....that thing solved my problem

6. Jason2013

Jason2013 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Fan on temp. Is 210f for an isx.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted