It’s Not as big as you think it is

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Midlife Trucker, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Midlife Trucker

Midlife Trucker Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Shady Dale, GA
    After graduating from MTI - Cartersville, my CDL test was scheduled for Tuesday. I got in the day before to practice my backing maneuvers. Georgia requires three maneuvers to pass the test. The first will be the straight line backing. The second will be either the offset to the left or offset to the right. The third will be one of three; left side parallel, right side parallel, or 90° alley dock.

My instructor liked to say we couldn’t even spell Kenworth three weeks ago, now we are driving one. I was very happy with my progress on the 90°. Here’s a time lapse I shot the night before the CDL test of my last back before parking the truck.

The morning of the test, and I’m as nervous as a 16-year-old taking that first driving test. I repeat the mantra, use my pull ups, use my GOALs. The straight line back was simple. Used my training, backed up slowly, no more than minor adjustments. Thumbs up from the examiner. Next came the offset to the right. No big deal. Final maneuver the instructor gave me to do was the 90°. Took my time, used my GOAL check set up. Used my second GOAL to check distance. I was being extra careful.

F91DA1DF-7C35-4020-B5D6-55F5E7EBC581.jpeg
    All my practice had been in an OTR truck, I took the test in a regional truck. Some will tell you that schools that have a third party tester will just pass students, haven’t met our examiner. He failed me for not being in the box. Here’s the thing, I respect him for that. I missed passing by less than 6”. I needed that lesson in humility.

I went back on Friday and passed my test the second time. I want to pass on some things that I’ve learned that I didn’t know when I took my first CDL test. My experience is Georgia and may not be the same in all states. The examiner asks you, if you have any questions. Ask them! While using an extra GOAL is a fail, using an extra pull up is not. Hitting a cone is not. Encroachment of a boundary is not. When I took that first test, I was worried that I would fail if I hit that cone in the back. As a result, I was conservative when backing towards it. If I had ran that cone over, it would have just been a deduction for encroachment of the boundary and hitting a cone. In other words, a pass.

My reason for this post, is to tell others that may be getting ready for their CDL backing maneuvers test, to ask questions. Know what will fail you and what will just cost you a point. In the real world we can GOAL as many times as we want, on the test? Only twice.

AbelAxe, Rollr4872, x1Heavy and 7 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    70 feet is long and can be very intimidating to a lot of people.

KUDOS.

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    No wonder why them new drivers hit everything . its the way u guys are being trained. U said it perfectly..

Automatic fail for using to many GOALS but not an automatic fail to hit a cone. Or encrouching a boundry...

Well in the real world that cone is the truck/trailer next to you and that boundry is gonna be a curb or a building that is gonna reaarange the paint on ur truck or scuff the sidewalls of ur tire really bad.....

But yet the most important thing in trucking is to not hit anything . and the only way to see things from all perspectives is to GOAL...

GOAL the most important thing in manuervering is being punished at schools. No wonder why the new drivers smash everything in sight.. They are trained to hit stuff rather than GOAL

5. Midlife Trucker

Dec 3, 2011
    Shady Dale, GA
    That’s not the training that limits the GOALs. That’s the Georgia DDS. The examiner has to use the state standards. The school does not punish us for GOALs. The state does.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Just remeber to do the opposite of what they are teaching u. GOAL as many tines as you need to. And do NOT ever think its ok to back into the cone or boundry when u get out into the real world... Thats why these new drivers they get these preventables in their first couple months, it makes sense now because thats the way they are being trained from the school.

7. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I took my test in Maryland in 1994.

My trailer looked just like the picture, except my trailer was against the cone, with the cone tilted just barely enough to see daylight under it.

Automatic fail.

I was ALSO only allowed two GOALs...

D.Tibbitt and Midlife Trucker Thank this.
  8. Midlife Trucker

Dec 3, 2011
    Shady Dale, GA
    I’m out with my trainer now. I’ve done all the backing the last two weeks. I do a lot of GOAL. I’d rather do too many than one too few.

9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    It's not just Georgia, it's a federal requirement to get your CDL.
    I was grandfathered in, but had to take the CDL test to transfer my license to Illinois. I only had 15 years of experience and had my license for more than 30 years. I failed the 45° backing and the tester gave me this "how do you not hit things if you're crossing the lines here?" I answered her "how is it you're passing drivers, and they are hitting things out there?"

Silence.

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I was going to say. I don't think it's a GA thing. It's federal.

We was taught them cones were kids.

I doubt I'd pass too. Driving dump trucks, Flatbeds, & Tankers. We just don't have a need for alley docking.

D.Tibbitt and homeskillet Thank this.
  11. Midlife Trucker

Dec 3, 2011
    Shady Dale, GA
    Each state seems to have different requirements. In Georgia we had to learn straight line backing, offset backing, parallel, and 90° alley. Others have to do 45° alley. Some states do not have the parallel.

The only part I think is foolish is limiting GOALs to 2. I did a tight back the other day; dumpsters, fence, and gates for obstacles. I did at least six GOALs but I got it in there and didn’t hit anything.

They should take points away, if you don’t GOAL.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.