It seems to me intermodel is the answer ... ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by arby1234, Jul 20, 2008.

1. arby1234

arby1234 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2008
    hayward Ca.
    Rail ( getting freight closer) in conjunction with truck transporting which is what intermodel transportation is, may be the answer to many driver complaints about the company's.The railroads can move freight around the country to distribution centers ect. which make the logistics/costs more efficiant. I am sure if i querry this idea i'll come up with information to validate it. Well, does anyone know about this ? A reduction of trucker hours on the road (i.e. safety concerns),high fuel costs and company equipment/road ware and tear, not to mention the driver shortage, would be the major reasons to adopt such a plan. Look, if a newbie ( going to trucking school soon) is thinking about such a model I'm sure the corporate transportation exec's and politicians are. I'll get some info. soon. I know it's around. thanks..... :biggrin_25524:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. formertaxidriver

formertaxidriver Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Aiea, HI
    Yeah, and everyone gets to go home every night.

4. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    What exactly is the question, or is there one? Intermodal is big business now days and will only get bigger in the future. Some people think the rails will be the savior of the transportation industry but I believe that there is just (and will be in the future) too much freight for the trains to handle, and if they could, its a long ways off.

5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Intermodule -- The best way to cut your competitions throat. And rip the IRS off at the same time.

Offer early pick-up and storage for up to 12 months, until the load is needed.

It's the "new" warehouse for all these companies that need JIT loads close by. But don't want to spend the money for warehouses, and taxes on the product. Neither the shipper or receiver "own" the freight. And since it is in transit, it does not need to be inventoried...so taxes are not paid on the asset.

It is the future of our industry...pure and simple.

6. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    The movement of intermodal for freight not needed immediately..........

If the train system was able to move freight faster cross country OTR drivers would be out of business.

The growth of intermodal and team driver systems will reduce the need for solo OTR...........Inter for slower needed freight and teams for the immed. needed freight..............:biggrin_2558:

7. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    i love the idea of intermodal, but i think the key reason why it hasn't really taken off yet, and won't is because of speed. If there was a way to say, drive/haul the trailer off the flatcar, then it might work.

Think of it as sort of a very long distance trans-continental "subway." Except in this case the "riders" are semi-trailers.

8. tuckerndfw

tuckerndfw Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I think just about everything that can be containerized has been containerized and the only thing that is going to make the business grow is more of the same.

Your new idea is about 50 years old.

BTW, some of us like being OTR, long haul drivers and wouldn't haul containers or run local for any price.

To each his own.

I see you're from the San Fran area of California. Not everyone agrees with California's war on the internal combustion engine and trucks in particular.

9. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    That's pretty much where the industry is shifting towards, rail....

10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You're right . Railroad yards cannot handle that much freight and can you imagine the traffic around the railyards ? How about the long waits at crossings as they go by ? Most communities will fight to keep railyards out . Trailers really get tore up being used intermodal . They tend to get overloaded more when transported by rail . I've seen a lot more U.S. Xpress intermodal and I'm all for more of that . I hate having their drivers tailgating and weaving around my hazmat tanker .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.