It wasn't a tornado but it sure felt like one.

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by shandera, May 28, 2010.

1. shandera

shandera Enchantress of the Mystical

Sep 18, 2007
    California
    (WWLP) - A severe thunderstorm moved through western Massachusetts Wednesday night -- leaving toppled trees and downed power lines in its wake.

It was like a great night of sex....hard & fast !!!!

But the damage left behind has been amazing. We just got our power back this morning about 1am.

http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/photo-gallery-storm-rips-through-wmass

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RAILSPLITTER

RAILSPLITTER Medium Load Member

May 2, 2009
    Coronado, CA
    Two things that make me nervous: lightning and tornadoes... even lightning is more predictable, and you can take steps to avoid becoming a casualty, but tornadoes are downright scary!!! My biggest concern is that I'll be shut down somewhere, sleeping, and a big ol' twister will roll up on me... for that reason, I usually try to cross "Tornado Alley" in one shot during "Tornado Season" (May-June).

My best friend was riding with me on a big ol 6000-mile jaunt (CA-PA-GA-CA) back in May, '99, and we were in OKC the very same day that "Billion Dollar Twister" hit Moore and Midwest City and killed over 40 people... we left a few hours before it hit, and were later shocked to learn that we had escaped by such a relatively narrow margin. You can see photos of the damage from that twister in my photo collection. Another twister hammered that mall in Stroud, OK, on the same day, as I recall.

I once heard a hand say that he'd be scared to live out West, with the earthquakes and all... I couldn't believe it. Sure, people get killed in earthquakes, but I find tornadoes to be much more violent and intimidating, with all that debris flying around... that's what kills most people in tornadoes, all that debris flying around at 300 m.p.h. That's just crazy...

When I took those photos of that damage in Midwest City, I also brought home a short section of utility pole which had been snapped like a toothpick, just to show my friends at the surf shop... they couldn't believe their eyes, but the proof was right there in front of them. Anything that can snap a phone pole in two is a whole lot bigger and badder than I am... and YES, I will haul ##### in the opposite direction when I see one of these comin'...

I was once running west out of OKC with another hand... we had just met over the CB, and since his truck was equally matched in speed, we were running together. There was a big ol' black "supercell" ahead of us, lowering in the sky, very ugly and menacing... the kind of cloud formation that spawns tornadoes, right? As we were tooling along, checking out that supercell, one of those "stormchaser" trucks hauled ##### past us, heading directly for that cell... I said to the other hand, "Doesn't look so good, their travelin' in the same direction..." I actually jumped off to kill a bit of time and let that cell cross the interstate (it was headed toward the southeast), but the other hand went on, and I never saw him again.

One day, I suppose some rocket scientist will figure out a way to predict or possibly even prevent tornadoes (through "cloud seeding" or something like that), but that day hasn't yet arrived, and tornadoes still scare me... those idiots who sport that old "No Fear" label never had a big ol' twister come through their living room, that's for ###### sure. If scientists ever figure out how to harness the energy and raw power of twisters, that will be an amazing feat. Until then... "YIKES!!!" Those things make me nervous.

4. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Completely off topic, but I just realized you've changed locations again. You've now made it completely across the country, huh? :biggrin_25525:

5. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Walmart has undies at a reasonable price, if you should need them !!!!!!!!!

6. RAILSPLITTER

RAILSPLITTER Medium Load Member

May 2, 2009
    Coronado, CA
    "10-FO'..." They also sell those Depends, but I'm not quite there yet. They might come in handy when waking to a twister in the parking lot...

7. Ramblin' Redneck

Ramblin' Redneck Medium Load Member

Apr 18, 2010
    So.IL
    I've been camping (in tents) on several occasions when tornadoes came through. Even spent one out on a small lake in an aluminum row boat with a 6HP motor and lightning crashing down all around me. It's only weather, and certainly nothing to be worried about....just a little wind and a little rain....maybe some hail tossed in for spice.

Grow a pair and go about your business.:biggrin_25525:

RAILSPLITTER Thanks this.
  8. shandera

Sep 18, 2007
    California
    It wasn't a choice, it was a must. I see you and I are under the same umbrella now, amongst the other hitched folks! My marriage is awesome, life however it giving me some nasty problems right now.

9. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    Were you live now, that part of Western Mass, is prone to tornadoes, and sever weather.. I loved living in Ma, and hope to go back someday for good..

10. shandera

Sep 18, 2007
    California

~~~T W I S T E R S ~~~

O M G !!!!!!

Oh now ya tell me !!!!!!!! I see how ya are......:biggrin_2556:

Well that's 50 lashes with a wet noodle for you dude!

Sheesh........."oh it's pretty you'll love it. check out the Mohawk Trail...yada yada yada...."

YOU never mentioned twisters bonehead.....LMAO :biggrin_25523:

Ok...ok...ok I'll forgive ya this time but next time I dunno :biggrin_25525:

Well now that we're past that angst, tell where the best swimmin hole is??

Oh and camping too. I saw a neat place in Gill that wasn't far and looked nice.

11. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Road Train Member

I love Buffalo. No quakes. No hurricanes. A tornado every 2-3 years and only f-1's. Some may hate snow but I never had to scramble my family in to the basement or a bathtub because it was cold outside.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.