Ive got an opportunity.....

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by nikmirbre, Dec 15, 2020.

1. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Right now I pull a 35ton RGN and truck and trailer im 6 axles total. Rgn is 2 axles with a pin on. Heres my deal..... I need to be able to pull 76000lbs. Now, im not saying im not worried about money but money aside, this is my thought...... My truck, I do have enough room to add an axle in front of my tandems( different people use different verbiage) pusher/tag?? Now I know I can upgrade to a 40-50 ton trailer but that would make no sense because I still couldn't get the axle weights correct with just a 3 axle truck.

I seen a thread on here where someone purchased a jeep type thing(someone correct me) and it was BEHIND his tandems on the truck(I know in the pictures he posted it was a blue and white truck).

For running the east coast mainly myself, is that something I should look into or should I go ahead and have a 3rd axle installed? But then I think about my frame and stuff, its not double framed or anything like that....and I probably wouldn't spend the money to have that done.

Edit to add: Im upgrading my trailer regardless...now I know why I was told to buy a Hydraulic RGN in the beginning LOL

cke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    what you are referencing is a jump Jeep - so people will call it a jo dog.

Western Canadian guys use them
    all the time.

the down side is they will increase your height and they are “challenging” to back. Also, not legal in some states - California for sure. A jump Jeep isn’t generally cheap - maybe $20k for a used one in good shape. You will also need a really good set of ramps to jump it - when not loaded.

a pusher axle is in front of your drives and a tag axle is behind your drives.

I built a pin on tag axle for my 3 axle tractor to run some very specific freight this year but can still remove it to pull my 11 axle set up. I could do this because my tractor is a very spec 3 axle. Building the axle was north of $20k but it paid for itself very quickly - I would not have done it with out work lined up for it.

personally, if I were you and set on hauling 7 axle freight - I would run a 7 axle set up. That means I would get a 4 axle truck spec’d to do the job.

just my thoughts ....

4. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    @Rontonio Yes that has been a thought too but I just don't want to get rid of my w9 glider......

baha and cke Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Here's a jeep:

Lift axles are not legal up here in Western Canada so these used to be very common.

cke, Cat sdp, Flint1 and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. Rontonio

Aug 9, 2009
    you are going to hate me but here goes....

to do the job correctly, use the right tool.

becuase here in a what is going to happen - I know because I have lived it....

when you get to 7 axles - someone is going to say “the real money” is in 8 axle freight then 9 axle and so on

and they might be right....but everything starts with a solid foundation. Get a heavy spec truck because it reduces your exposure (risk) - can you do it with a light spec truck - probably for a while. I could you about a truck broken down right now because they are running 135k gross with a truck built to haul groceries. The frame sags and cracks, the truck overheats because it doesn’t cool properly.... you get the picture.

but, if you have a truck spec’d for the job then you contemplate adding a 4th axle or so on.

yhis is not popular but trucks are exactly like hammers - use the right one.

7. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Not gonna hate at all I understand right job needs the right tool and Im not trying to cheap out on what needs to be done. MOST 4 axle trucks I see have the big front axle, I didn't even think about having to change that....... Lots of costs involved that I really didn't see beyond adding the axle.

cke and jamespmack Thank this.
  8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Shouldn't be a problem to get rid of ...w900 and glider ...ton of money

9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    the frame will be your weak point......

nikmirbre and cke Thank this.
  10. Rontonio

Aug 9, 2009
    Gearing and cooling - I bet

11. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    @old iron bought a jeep a couple years ago

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.