I've thought about it and I'm going tanker

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by EleventySeven, Dec 14, 2017.

1. EleventySeven

EleventySeven Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Hi everyone, I've spent the past 6wks during my CDL course combing through the forums for any and all info I can find. I've driven class b vac trucks for the past three years and decided I might as well keep it going and pull tankers.

I passed my skills exam this morning so now I'm just putting apps in like crazy. I'm in Indianapolis so I've applied at altom, trimac, and superior. I was wondering if there are any others that will take me without experience (or maybe my class b experience would count?). I'm looking to do regional work. Thanks

Smut Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Ive recently switched to tanker. It's so much more interesting than dry van. I'm still trying to get used to how nice customers treat you. I know they must think I'm nuts with how many times I tell them "thank you". The surge is no big deal if you respect it. Any careful driver can handle it. IMO the biggest surge is from sloppy or harsh starting out. Just start slowly. And it's so much easier to park the 48 ft trailer than 53 ft. You can nose in without causing problems for others. I think you will like tankers as long as you respect it and don't drive like a careless bully like to many drivers.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores sometimes hires new cdl grads to haul diesel/DEF. A few new grads posted on here they were hired and they really like the job. Have to apply online.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Fuel Truck Driver (Class A or B CDL)
    Quick Fuel Fleet Services -Indianapolis, IN
    $22 an hour
    The qualified candidate should possess a valid commercial driver's license (class A and/or B) with a hazmat and tanker endorsement, a clean driving record, a minimum of 1 year previous truck driving experience and the ability to pass a criminal background check, pre-employment drug screen and physical.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    tscottme Thanks this.
  6. EleventySeven

Jul 19, 2013
    Are these local positions?

7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    I'm currently driving tankers to although its not hazmat it is still a bio hazard meaning can't have leaks into steams. and rivers etc etc so that is the one pit fall i find with tanker, unless your carting none hazardous materials like milk, juice or water you will always need to be vigilant in transporting dangerous goods.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes.

RoadRooster Thanks this.
  9. EleventySeven

Jul 19, 2013
    I'm assuming that the surge on a tank trailer is comparable to that of a straight truck tank just on a larger scale? Would my class b experience factor into anything or am I essentially starting over again as far as these companies are concerned?

10. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    Schneider has a big oc in Indy right off the loop. They do take new grads. Not sure on tank requirements though. Doesn't hurt to call and ask. Indy is where I did my orientation.

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I'm not sure how companies would treat your Class B experience. Ask over in the Tanker forum. Lots of experience over there.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.