J.B. Hunt semi-local / System Transport - learn to love tarping?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by HoChoSen, Sep 20, 2018.

1. HoChoSen

HoChoSen Bobtail Member

May 21, 2017
    Houston, Tx
    Hey folks! I’m deciding between these two companies. J.B. Hunt will be semi-local 90% drop and hook for Amazon. System i’d be working OTR for 4-6 months which I will be eligible to transfer into their ‘fun’ divisions. Pay would be about the same since if I was OTR I wouldn’t be renting a place versus semi-local.

My main concern is the companies themselves. The System thread worried me about how ‘it’s so bad’ but, I was in contact with a driver that’s been their for the past 3 years and he gave me inssight on what it’s like on his end. With J.B. Hunt i’m not too confident the account will be around after the holidays.

If anyone has any advice or experience with these companies i’d appreciate it!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    JB hunt has treated me well. I ran local intermodal for them for almost 2 years and it was a good gig with good benefits but the pay should have been higher. I have been otr lease purchase with them for almost a year now and its been pretty good. They really have your back.

On the other hand, Accounts do come and go so I would be wary of choosing a company based on a single account opportunity alone.

HoChoSen Thanks this.
  4. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    As far as accounts go at JB, I try to stay away from anything that is seasonal or has down periods. They will send you to different accounts to help out to keep you moving though so it's a double edge sword. Ask the account manager if they are signed up for a long term contract? When does it expire?

UturnGirl Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.