Jack cooper info out of the Buffalo terminal.

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by SenecaBrave, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Yes that terminal hauls units from a railhead to dealers in those states. Some deliveries you may be home at the end of the day and other times you will probably be out one night at a time. If you are looking for a change and a challenge give it a try. Just know that you may not like it at first, but if you can stick with it 6 months you probably won’t want to do any other form of trucking.

EvertonP and Hammer166 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    There's really only 2 drawbacks to a union job like Cooper.

You're most likely going to be driving older equipment, and until you get some seniority, you'll get the runs nobody else wants.

And the politics of a union shop is a deal breaker for some.

ducnut Thanks this.
  4. SenecaBrave

SenecaBrave Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2022
    I appreciate all the info . It will definitely help me when I make a decision. I guess the other question I have is the union side of things . What are the annual fees usually ? I’m not one to get caught up in union politics I just want to do my job and make money for my family

EvertonP Thanks this.
  5. SenecaBrave

Mar 26, 2022
    Also the CLC lodging do they have just certain hotels that they use and a limit on price of a room ?

6. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Cooper generally has good hotels and your co-workers will help you find the best hotels to stay in. Union dues are a couple hours pay a month and generally less than you will pay for insurance at most non union jobs. As happy as I am with my current company where I have been the last 7 years, I would have never left Jack Cooper if they had owner operators.

7. SenecaBrave

Mar 26, 2022
    Question about the day cabs they use . Are they a comfortable ride ? Auto or manual ? I’m sure they are governed

8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Carhaulers are a different beast than most other semis. Less leg and headroom than a condo. I am 6’3 and still fit fine. I don’t know if their new rigs are autos, but you likely won’t be in one and probably will have a manual. They generally ran 65-72 when I was there.

9. SenecaBrave

Mar 26, 2022
    Can’t think of anything else that needed an answer for . Thanks for all the info . Have a good rest of your day

Jubal Early Times Thanks this.
  10. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Ask anything you think of later. I thought about being a carhauler for 20 plus years before I actually did it. I hated it at first and then I learned to love it, now I am 11 years in. I very likely won’t do anything else to earn a living besides hauling cars. Those of us that love hauling cars like myself and @Hammer166 and a few others who routinely post on this forum are more than willing to help new folks interested in becoming a carhauler.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    Jubal Early Times and Hammer166 Thank this.
  11. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    I worked out of that terminal when it was still Allied 22 years ago. You'll load right at the terminal since they lost the Fords at the rail yard to Virginia Transportation. They have a hard time finding drivers to work there and only have 15 or so active drivers. I know the guys that are left run a lot of New England and make 2k to 3k a week. They will run you empty to other terminals to keep you busy when the regular freight dries up and run used cars to fill gaps.
    The best way to describe the equipment is it is well maintained junk. I believe they are manual transmission Volvos and Sterlings. You could do a lot worse for a first car hauling gig though.
    Also, your starting at a bad time of year. Once your training is done the weather will make you want to quit. No other way to put it than it sucks!
    From what I have heard, it's kind of a country club atmosphere there now with the new terminal manager. It's hard to get fired. Most of the drivers have been there a long time but they can't seem to keep new drivers for whatever reason. Once you learn the ropes there are several other good companies in the area to work with if JC isn't your cup of tea. I know one guy I talked to recently bragged about making 120k and weekends home. The money is there , it's not them bs ing you to get you there.
    Go slow and realize everyone struggles when they are new. You'll still make more than most other jobs. Once you get the hang of it you can make as much as you want there.

skinnytrucker, Banker and Hammer166 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.