Jake Brakes

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by madmantrapper, Mar 26, 2020.

1. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2020
    I am very new to diesel mechanics. I understand how a Jake works but don't understand the circuitry. All I can find online are diagrams showing the clutch switch, dash switches and fuel pump switch. I am looking at a 1999 Volvo with a M11 Cummings. I know the clutch switch is good (checked with an ohm meter) and I have 5 volts across the open leads wires coming to it with the switch removed. If I am understanding this correctly, current flows from the battery to the clutch switch to the dash switches and the fuel pump switch. As long as all these situations are satisfied, the solenoids for the exhaust valves will activate. Is this correct?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Should all go through the ECM. Voltage signal out, voltage signal back on a different pin.

4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    l
    I do not remember the order of the circuitry but that sounds correct- for a mechanical engine.

For an electronic engine,. It is all electronic computer nonsense...

5. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2020
    If it is an electronic system, 5 volts would seem correct, I think. If it were mechanical, it would seem to be more like 12 volts. Does that make sense?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.