James Hardie, Pulaski, VA - DIRT CHEAP TARPED LOADS.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by true blue, Jan 3, 2017.

1. true blue

true blue Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Harrisburg, NC
    I emptied 7 miles away from Pulaski, Va last week. James Hardie (Hardie board) had a load posted going right back to Charlotte, NC, near my hometown (Harrisburg, NC). Couldn't take their 48K tarped load bc it paid a whopping $391 on 150 mi. I asked him what was the best he could do and he said that was all they could pay. And this is SHIPPER DIRECT - not even a broker in the middle. CHEAP JUNK FREIGHT! Good thing I got my good rate going up there on a no-tarp load of 12K that I could afford to return home empty and not waste my time, labor and equipment on their junk load. Whoever is hauling this stuff is going broke and doesn't realize it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    ...so $2.60/mile is cheap junk freight? Nearly $400 for less than 1/2 a day's work? And it takes you home? And you turned it down? Fiberboard is nice, flat, easy to tarp. I could understand not wanting to tarp a steel load with a boat load of sharp edges that will shred your tarps and cut your straps...but fiberboard is easy stuff to deal with. I would've hauled it and profited handsomely doing so...especially if it was going where I was heading anyway. I'll take an easy load that pays twice my cpm over bouncing home for nothing any day.

Truckermania, Tb0n3, jdchet and 3 others Thank this.
  4. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    So glad I sold my truck.

OldW900AOwner and Ruthless Thank this.
  5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    They are known nationwide for being cheap.

Please stay local in whatever area you run.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    Why, because a backhaul paying twice my cpm is allegedly "cheap"? That load would've made me $1.30/mile PROFIT. After expenses. After I pay myself. After every cost associated with operating my truck, I'd have nearly $200 left over growing my bank account. Why WOULDN'T I haul that when it's going where I'm heading anyway? Makes no sense to decrease my bank account $200 bouncing home empty when I can not only cover my expenses but also increase my balance by $200 hauling a load on the way.

I get the whole "say no to cheap freight" thing, and if it isn't going to be profitable I don't haul it. But if a load is profitable for me to haul, AND it takes me where I need to go, why SHOULDN'T I haul it? $2.60/mile for a backhaul seems reasonable enough to me...especially when the load out paid well.

7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    This paying load is cheap. BUT, if I had a good day, and it would put me in my front yard or picking a load on the same block, I would take it. I run local, so what works for me might not work for you. Forgot to mentioned, this load would of had to be in the same spot I just delivered from.

true blue Thanks this.
  8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    2 hour wait to load, 1 hour load time, 3.5 hours driving (it's a next day delivery) 1 hour unload.
    $391 for 8+ hours of work..

I have a calculator. That's how I know it's cheap freight.

This argument comes up time & time again. The guys taking cheap backhauls always come out grossing and netting less money.

You do what you want. Don't do it by me: enough cheap freight haulers coming out of my area pushing rates down as is.

Every "back haul" use to be somebody's front haul.

9. tax

tax Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Holy cow are you even a owner op, you will take 400 for flat bed with trap, I am dry van and I would not even start my truck less than $ 700.
    Even in dry van it takes almost the whole day picking, driving and unloading, you will go broke on these rates.

Otr Traveler, Son, Lepton1 and 6 others Thank this.
  10. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    Bought my truck almost 9 years ago, and we aren't talking "start the truck" for $400. We're talking truck is already running, made good money on the way out, just looking for icing on the cake going back to the house (where my truck gets parked every night).

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    P.S. I just reread the original post, NOPE, I wouldn't take this load. I don't tarp. Second, I only give 1 hr to load and unload. On an average day, I haul 3 to 4 loads day. Most loads I do don't take long to load and unload.

true blue Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.