Jb hunt lays it over on ice..

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by drvrtech77, Jan 16, 2018.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Until the next storm system that is. Remember we still have to go through February and March,and winter storms as of late tend to get worse when spring is around the corner.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    It certainly did no good here this time..txdot even said they pre treated the roads last week...

4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    My bad on the first post....thank you all for not pointing it out...LOL. It was I20 in Tyler. Sat for 5.5 hours for nothing I guess. No wrecks that I could see, but they might have cleared it by the time I got to it.
    2 things. #1, I'm pretty sure the roads weren't pretreated. I've seen pretreated roads before, and I20 wasn't one of them.
    #2, it is frankly astounding the number of drivers that have no idea of how to drive in the winter. Once the backup cleared, nearly all of the "professional drivers" were doing 35 in mixed slush and dry roads. Amazing

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I came across I-20 from Louisiana Saturday morning and probably 90% of it was pretreated from Louisiana to Odessa. It's easy on dry roads to see where it was applied.

6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Yeah, it makes little stripes in the road. But I'm telling you, either they didn't use enough or didn't treat it at all because the ice was thick

7. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    I stopped eighty miles out of Houston no desire to skate into Kroger before the sun is up they can reschedule this one 4am ain't happening

8. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Know how many snow plows I have seen in my life in Mississippi or Tennessee? Zero. I can run 65 mph in snow, but ice with untreated roads and no chains? I will leave that to the people that are dumb enough to risk it.

drvrtech77, ‘Olhand and KillingTime Thank this.
  9. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Ice - period. No go. I'm on board with the notion.

Don't even bother with chains.
    In fact, I forget where I misplaced the truck key.... What truck key? Not a day I'm sharing the road with the general motoring public, or Swift (or, in my neck of the woods: Western Express).

drvrtech77, shogun and mjd4277 Thank this.
  10. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    It's beyond my conception the last decade or so at how ridiculous things get out here every winter--I know Im old and getting senile....but I don't remember having large mulitple vehicle pileups EVERY time roads get a little slick? It seems to happen everytime everywhere anymore......As for vs ice---you have to wonder how many even know the difference anymore? I heard all the excuses about being pushed--ELD's....etc etc
    But c'mon.....is the concept of slowing down and keeping a safe following distance that difficult to comprehend?
    Worked for me for the last 40 odd winters out here...and 30 years or so before that for my 'ol man and the generation that taught me.....
    and as for making a living? Same concept as it's been since long before trucking---Make hay when the suns shining---freight slows at the beginning and end of years--miles have a way of fading in harsh winter months---you learn to look at quarteryl and yearly averages---accept it move on
    Course I've pretty much been told by everyone I told to who's been out here say 15 years or less.....that guy's like me just don't understand the world today...maybe so---but how does that makes us wrong?

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I think 80% of the problems we're complaining about today [in relation to a roughly 30 year historical perspective] is a result of sheer traffic volume increases (cars and trucks). You can't quadruple traffic density on basically the same capacity [minus a few lane expansion upgrades exceptions here and there] and not expect various problems to go up exponentially.

Opus, ‘Olhand and mjd4277 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.