JB Hunt... this dog wont hunt!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by hornerherbert, Aug 10, 2014.

1. hornerherbert

hornerherbert Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Two months ago I went to work, as otr company driver, for JB Hunt. I have been unable to pay my rent on time, or at all, both months. I have put in 14 hour days consistently but so much of that time has been spent sitting. I estimate that I have averaged 1300 miles weekly. Mistakes on the part of JB hunt have led to thousands in lost earning opportunities for me: nevertheless, when I locked my keys in my truck JB Hunt made me pay the $125 bill that resulted from the lockout. There has been nothing good about my brief employment with JB Hunt. They are terribly unorganized and unable to provide adequate earning opportunities. They have not routed me home when promised yet. I was supposed to be out for 2 weeks and then home two days. I was out three weeks the first time and an entire month the second time. I made less than minimum wages most weeks.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    Lone Ranger 13 and conjuntoron Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    What do you mean you Estimate?
    Aren't you getting paid?
    Do you know how to average your miles.
    So that you don't have to 'estimate'?

Well that sux.
    They could have paid it.
    But then they weren't the ones who locked the keys in the truck.

2 Weeks is kind of short for OTR anyway.
    Before you quit and go to CR England..do your research.

4. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Locked my keys in my truck once, and I paid for it out of pocket too. Yeah it sucks, but Nobody's fault but my own.

The rest of your story pretty much jives with what most have experienced going OTR with JB Hunt.

Balakov100 Thanks this.
  5. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    Two months with a company and you averaged 1300 miles/week OTR? That's like 200 - 300 miles a day. What did you do with all your time? How did you sit quietly about it? Man, my goal is 550 a day and if I am not hitting the low benchmark of 450, I let my dispatcher know. And don't get me started on if I have to bump a dock with an appointment more than two days in a row.

I average 2200-2500 mi, in five days (home two full calendar days a week), intermodal (only in Wisconsin), and with JB.

horsecrazychic22 and Cody1984 Thank this.
  6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Jb hunt is a shady outfit to start with..

Big Duker Thanks this.
  7. stabob

stabob Heavy Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Sebring Fl
    You had my sympathy till the part about locking you're keys in. Tells me you may be at fault for some of your misfortune you know that poor me crap. Why in the world would anyone but you pay for that? Who pays in that happens in your own car? What's the difference? You f'ed up god is there no personal responsibility anymore?

8. DavidOTR48

DavidOTR48 Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2014
    man...... do you drive their truck? or you Owneer Operator?

9. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Sounds like he went to work JBhunt and now his dog won't even hunt for him ......the lesson here is
    Don't work for JB or you won't be able to afford dog food and your hunting buddie will go on strike

10. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I didn't know JB hunt still done OTR,hardy see
    them on the road anymore.thought they were all
    dedicated and container work.

not gonna hammer this company,spent 3 years there OTR
    1999 47,655
    2000 53,896
    2001 51,356

that was the good old days before they starved all
    the OTR drivers out.

11. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    You actually got home time with JB Hunt? I drove for them for eight weeks and never once saw the house. And what's worse than that; I was on their Midwest Regional division, and never once saw the Midwest.

They completely screwed me...and I have warned people about them on here time, and time again---but nobody listens.

I complained, begged, pleaded, and asked over and over to be sent home throughout that time; and they claimed they had nothing going that way, and could I just do them this "one more favor". They KNEW I wouldn't abandon the truck, or commit an unauthorized bounce towards the house or home terminal (which was Cedar Rapids, IA. even though I took orientation in Chicago, and picked up an abandoned truck in Waterloo to move into).

Not sure if they were TRYING to get me to abandon and/or bounce...but I didn't want my DAC messed with, so I was at their mercy.

On that eighth week, I finally got a load to Cedar Rapids...so I called the wife, told her to meet me at the terminal. I took the stuff out of my truck, went inside, scanned my final paperwork, dropped the paperwork and keys to the truck on the counter, and never looked back.
    The following Monday, my dispatcher (Michael) called to ask if I was ready to go back out....I acted like I didn't know him or what he was talking about, and hung up on him.

To JB Hunt's defense, they did not put anything on my DAC (except the time frame of my employment with them, and that I WAS eligible for rehire), and I DID make really good money for the times.

On another note: I always carried a key to the truck on my key ring in my pocket. I was NEVER locked out that way.

Lynne Palmer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.