Jbrakes and cruise control

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sevyn, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Sevyn

Sevyn Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2019
    FLORIDA
    Can someone please explain if these two functions should be used same time..
    I was informed NO! I was trained when and how to use each one and when.
    My co driver seems to think he can and my truck has already been in shop once because my adaptive cruise faulted..after i told him why not to use jbrakes ..cruise and manually shifting same time he was like OK...well i caught him doing it again..its either he doesn't care..doesn't listen or am i the dumb one..! I'm not in mood to deal with fault cruise again..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I don't really see why not.

Many of my trucks are setup to use the engine brakes with the cruise, this is what the drivers want.

4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Depends on the truck, no they are not they same.
    But some tractors allow you to set the cruise and then set the engine brake to come on auto at a certain speed. Cruise set at 55 engine brake to come on at 57-60.

Just depends how the truck was ordered. But they are two different things that sometimes work together.

tscottme, PE_T, Brettj3876 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    If I understand your question correctly, it doesn’t hurt to have the cruise set with the jakes on. This allows the jake to hold your speed within a couple mph automatically when descending moderate hills while loaded without touching the brake pedal. **Disclaimer** This doesn’t apply to descending mountains as a gear and speed reduction will be needed.

6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Shifting with the cruise on will just disable the cruise, no harm. Shifting with the engine brake on also will not hurt anything as long as you know how to shift. Not recomended for new drivers, learn to drive first, then get fancy.

tscottme, Sevyn, Brettj3876 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    My truck has Adaptive Cruse control. It will turn on the engine brake automatically to keep truck for the what ever speed the cruise control is set for. My truck has automatic transmission and it will even turn on the engine brake between gears if needed.

Generally you just use the engine brake when going down a big hill the help keep brakes cool. On the new computer truck they use the engine brake a lot more. Like to maintain speed with adaptive cruise control.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Ah the all-so-knowledgeable trainer strikes again.

Jake and cruise on at the same time is not going to harm anything. In fact, most trucks/engines you can enable a parameter in the ECM that kicks on the engine brake while on cruise if it starts picking up speed on a downgrade. It'll even cycle between the stages as needed to hold a constant speed.

Long story short: Cruise and jake on and manually shifting didn't put the truck in the shop. And your trainer's an idiot.

9. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    My cruise and wipers don’t work together

PE_T, LtlAnonymous and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    That's because some programmer thinks they're smarter than you and that any time the wipers are on it must mean the weather conditions are too bad for cruise. If it's your own truck you can get that parameter changed by the dealer/mechanic.

Brettj3876 and Hazmat Cat Thank this.
  11. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Ya I figured, company truck. :confused:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.