Jim Palmer Detention

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by HELLBlLLY, Feb 21, 2017.

1. HELLBlLLY

HELLBlLLY Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Line Lexington, PA
    Hey everyone, I'm hoping to get an answer from some Jim Palmer drivers. I've spoken to a recruiter several times and I'm currently set to begin their training April 10th (assuming I pass the background checks). But when I asked about detention and layover pay the only answer I could get was that it's handled on an individual case by case basis. Hauling reefer I know detention can be an issue. Can any JP drivers help shed some light on this for me?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. true122

true122 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2011
    washington
    Jim palmer does prime freight which only time detention is paid is when the customer pays it

4. HELLBlLLY

Jan 5, 2012
    Line Lexington, PA
    I understand all that. I'm trying to find out more specifics. How often are you paid detention (average), which customers are you more likely to get it from, which ones never pay, etc.

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Not to sound rude but, why are asking questions about which of there customers pay detention? I think you should focus more if there gonna except you. Btw, they are very picky on picking applicants from what I hear. I know someone from someone that got accepted and is happy there.

6. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Good point, focus on getting the ACTUAL JOB, with the ACTUAL PAYCHECK that goes along with it.

Detention is just frosting on the cake.

I would be also be more concerned about DECENT EQUIPMENT and DECENT MILES, along with SAFETY from both your end and that of the company.

Detention pay should be the LEAST of your worries if you are getting decent miles.

Good luck to you! God bless you and your entire family!

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

[​IMG]
    Agnes N. Lum (born 5/21/1956 - Honolulu Hawaii), international model - mid 1970's to early 1980's

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  7. Majestic 670

Majestic 670 Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Landcruiser
    If a customer ever held me up and didn't pay me; I would never haul that load for them again. I been in that situation with Universal Truckload, I got held up with an idiot customer and was asked not to look for detention on settlement. But rather bank on it.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Recruiters are suppose to know everything.if you're not getting the answers what's that tell you?

9. HELLBlLLY

Jan 5, 2012
    Line Lexington, PA
    Thanks for all the input everyone.
    All I really want to know is the "real world" aspect of Jim Palmers detention and layover pay. It's certainly not a deal breaker for me and, although it's completely against JP's m/o, they couldn't starve me out if they tried. I have enough financial security to see it through.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

mostly real world detention pay involves submitting the info to justify it, then finding out months later the customer doesn't pay it. If the trucking company gets it, they pay the driver. I got this from discussions with Prime drivers, so it's likey how it works at JPT. JPT is a good company from my talks with them & extensive research.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.