Jim Palmer Trucking...

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by COBB2070, Apr 23, 2019.

1. COBB2070

COBB2070 Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    When I first joined this site I figured I'd at least be at a school working on a CDL but that got pushed back a little bit. And since then I've looked at some other options. But I checked into Jim Palmer Trucking and looked at their program and it seems similar to what others offer (1yr commitment, room and board, transportation there, etc) but with the exception of more road time. Wk 1-2 CDL testing and practice Wk 3-5 OTR instruction with a trainer on the road ($200/wk draw available). Take the CDL test if you and the trainer feel you're ready. After that 10,000 miles (c-seat they call it) with a trainer @$600/wk or. 12/mi which ever is greater. Then 20,000 miles (b-seat) with trainer @$700mwk or .14mi whichever is greater. Then solo or team after that. I know that I need to ask what the miles and rate are after that, not just yearly or weekly average. I also know they're pushing a no commitment, walk away lease option pretty heavy online. All refer, no touch, dedicated lanes. Sound good. Anyone worked for or currently work for them. All advice is welcomed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. COBB2070

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    And I did search and read the stories on this forum. Very insightful .

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

JPT is a good place to start. Their training is well organized and personal. There might be 5 students in class, not 30 like most CDL schools. If you leave before working your full year you could owe $3500 for school. That is a very reasonable cost. Many CDL schools cost 2 to e times that much. The good/bad part is how much time you spend with a trainer 2-3 months is good for learning under supervision. But that is a long time to share a small space if you can sleep in a moving truck.

I almost worked there. I like them. They are a legit company.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Gambosa and COBB2070 Thank this.
  5. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I’ve been with JPT for a little over a year now. I started the training program in January of last year. It’s a good program i’d recommend it. If you have any questions feel free to ask me in here or over pm.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

As a rule of thumb a solo driver can drive about 10,000 miles per month. As soon and you have a little training and supervision you and the trainer can run almost like a team. IIRC, those mileage requirements you state apply to the truck. So as soon as you can start real driving you can get through training kinda fast. And you can request additional time with the trainer if you or he feel you need it. Some people can sleep in a moving truck and some people cannot. Riding with a trainer is when you learn 90% of this job. It's very valuable and it eventually is frustrating sharing such a small space with another person. Prime and Jim Palmer use the same type of training program. But JP does their training in Montana. Expect to stay out 4 weeks before you can get home time. I get pretty close to my red-line just staying out 1 week.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  7. COBB2070

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    I like the idea of running as a team if I could find the right co-driver. It's the whole "time management vs dispatcher" quandary When I was driving regional (non-CDL) here in CA, I would get dispatched with a load to NorCal ,spend the night in a Motel 6 (company paid), do my delivery, and usually they would delay my delivery (the receiver). Dead head back, but sometimes run out of drive time/on duty hours. Then I'd end up spending another night in a place like Gorman or when the Grapevine was closed and detoured to Mojave stay there. One question about JP @LumperHumper is that it seem after the first week, you go out with a trainer for 3-5 weeks and the take the CDL test (other schools it seems train you pass the license test and THEN send you out on the road. Is that correct? Also, and I'll email the recruiter about this, during that 3-5 week period are you paid anything? Taking a draw in my opinion is the quickest way to start out in the hole. So does JP run teams? Are their dispatchers that good. And can you realistically get a dedicated lane that fresh out of training? Thanks for the replies.

8. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    @COBB2070 Yes sir, you stay out for 3-5 weeks with a trainer who at this point is sitting shotgun just helping you out with advice and such. During that time you are not paid anything but you can take advances to the tune of $200 if I remember correctly. JP does run teams and as far as getting a dedicated lane fresh out of training, maybe if you ask nicely. The dispatchers are in general pretty accommodating.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  9. Gambosa

Gambosa Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Swift has you go out with a trainer for about a month and then return to your home area to complete your CDL license exam. At least that was what their site said when I was doing permit training & such with them.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  10. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    I cannot mention swift from starting point as a fresh CDL standpoint but my past experiences they have a few good mentors rest are horrible is my take.
    Just because you can run your logs doesn't make you a good teacher me I can run but don't get me teaching you crap not tommro, and not 20 years from now. My thing is I one don't trust anyone but my driving so you driving me around would violate my one and only rule of the truck.

No matter what group you go with don't sign a non-compete they are not worth your time. ones who do that know you will leave in a heartbeat based on their poor quality.

COBB2070 and dwells40 Thank this.
  11. Mark Falcone

Mark Falcone Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    I worked for Prime Inc. They're under the same umbrella. I got my CDL through Prime. Hands down it was the best decision I ever made. I'd go to Prime if I were you. They offer the same exact model except your going straight to the source instead of the messenger.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.