Jo Dog / Single Axle Jeep

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Don Muirhead, Aug 23, 2017.

1. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Track down @westernstarheavyhaul, he knows the aforementioned former member real well.

Of course, @Heavy Hammer is very knowledgeable too. As is, umm... guy from Wyoming that does a lot of rig moves. I've got CRS disease and can't remember his user ID right now.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Tug Toy, Oxbow and cke Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Don Muirhead

Don Muirhead Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2017
    As far as I can tell or research California is the only place a single axle jeep is not legal. still not sure why? and not at all sure if it would be legal on a 8' 6" or 9' spread. I know this has been a difficult question. I want to pursue this for a couple of reasons. A tag axle would add weight to my truck all the time. It doesn't help in Canada anyway. I like the option of using the Joe Dog when needed. I'll continue my quest.

Thanks Again

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    @Heavyhaul 1 maybe?

SAR Thanks this.
  5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Nope, but you just jogged my memory... @haulhand.

Thanks for that!

6. heavyhaulershotcaller

heavyhaulershotcaller Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2017
    South Central U.S.
    You ask some hard questions. I do know that the jump jeep or "jo dog" has to have a 102" wide axle for Canada. I am not educated fully on them, but I know the 5th wheel height increases 5" or 6" when you use one, so you pretty much need a hydraulic neck to compensate for the difference in 5th wheel height. Also you need to make sure the neck of the trailer is long enough. I have seen those jeeps require around 102" swing...maybe 108".
    I have seen an Aspen jeep have rollers underneath next to the suspension hanger, so with a set of ramp on the back of the frame of the truck you can slide your 5th wheel forward causing the axle to lift off the ground when empty. I think I saw a video on youtube with one off the ground.

7. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Ah, that's right.

SAR Thanks this.
  8. westernstarheavyhaul

westernstarheavyhaul Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2017
    I've used mine in Washington, Oregon, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Illinois, Kentucky, Nevada, Arizona, Iowa, Idaho and prob a few in missing in between. I had no problem getting 20,000lbs for that axle. I regularly use it up in western Canada. Yes it will raise your height up a little bit. We have lots of mechanical necks with ours. Hydraulic of course is great and easier for jumping. You will need ramps to make it easy to jump the jeep or you can chain it up.

SAR, Oxbow and cke Thank this.
  9. Don Muirhead

Aug 23, 2017
    Thank you. I'm glad you found us.

all the best

don

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. Don Muirhead

Aug 23, 2017
    I'm guessing you have never been denied entry in to a state as you have not tried cal?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. westernstarheavyhaul

westernstarheavyhaul Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2017
    I've never tried California correct. I don't know if they would have a problem with it or not. I don't see why they would...

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.