Job hunting ain't as fun as i thought

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TommyTrucker88, Feb 13, 2018.

1. TommyTrucker88

TommyTrucker88 Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2016
    POCONOS, PA
    Hey guys so I'm still with my employer and I've been looking at some jobs some that were recommended to me and others that I had found previously on indeed . Turns out I was hoping to get things rolling right away before I left my current work so I can start my new job right after.

Turns out everyone wants a interview.
    My luck. So now I have to put my two week notice this weekend and go to a couple employers when I get home to apply in person

Well I do want to mention some employers and see what you guys might pick and choose if you were given the choice.

Hogan, r+l, qc, and one other that sounds promissory I won't mention because of availability of open positions.

I applied to a few others but had only my phone to apply with and was a pain in the butt. Ups, Estes.
    I did try saia locally but the ladys don't pick upper phone and no corporate person in hr who could help.

Qc is verry interested in me joining and I was going to do it untill I searched here and found some negative things about em. Most posts are old so I'm wondering if there's something that changed.

They offered % per load 3-5 days out.
    Said average was 1100 top was 1500
    And I wanted to try tankers Wich was a plus.

R+l was another I really liked. $24.50 hourly home daily.

I'd rather stay out for a few days due to paying for gas on transportation but pay should be more steady.

Will go in person to Estes and saia and a small company but I just wish I had the ball rolling already.

What do you guys think about my tangled ball of a thread? Any advice or help.
    Thanks

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. taodnt

taodnt Light Load Member

May 6, 2017
    North of Green Bay
    Tommy,

Did you already give notice (4 days ago)? or are you planning to give it this weekend?

I am just an old fart, but the advice I got from my Dad and the advice I have given my children is never quit a job until you have another one lined up.

If you have already given notice then you have some extra motivation to make a quicker decision which may not be in your best interest.

Good luck.

taodnt

teaching an old dog new tricks

4. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    #1 Estes or UPS #2 Saia or R&L. My thoughts.

zigstar, ladr, Mike2633 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, that's the best lineup.
    Forget Hogan all together.

6. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I avoid interviewing. I never kept a job long that I had to interview for. The three jobs that I've had the longest (2 airport jobs and this one) I got without interviews.

Richierich76, Dan.S and supremegod Thank this.
  7. supremegod

supremegod Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Stay away from q.c too much BS

8. TommyTrucker88

TommyTrucker88 Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2016
    POCONOS, PA
    Your dad was a wise man.
    I haven't put in my notice yet but will be before the end of this week. I've been itching to find what something better. Unfortunately the carriers I applied or am interested in all want me to come in for a interview I'm guessing just to fill out some basic paperwork allowing them to run my records.
    I could possibly wait longer but if I'm going to be making more at the new job then it's just a bigger hole in my pocket the longer I wait.
    Thanks sounds good to me
    Awesome, thank you , I appreciate it.
    I wish I was as lucky as you. You must of told them on the phone you bring donuts or buy steak dinners if you got the job. :)

Ok. It's going to be rough saying no. But I'll have to take your word for it for now. Hopefully I'll land what im looking on the day or day after actually physically appling at there terminal/office.

taodnt Thanks this.
  9. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    QC actually has very few of their own trucks, most are fleets leased on and tagged as QC.
    I drove for one that really sucked, but it wasn't QC itself, just a leased on fleet owner.

10. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Do you have any vacation? Use it for interview days if you can.

Dan.S and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    Take a sick day. Call in sick

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.