Job leads/advice on positions for a woman to apply thats entry level in/near Oilfield

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by trkrslady, Jun 19, 2014.

1. trkrslady

trkrslady Bobtail Member

May 16, 2014
    Washington Coast
    Hey forum,

I've been reading this forum for awhile and LOVE the insight that it's given me and the husband. We've posted and got some great info for my husband. I hope it's ok to post this query in the trucker forum as it seems relative to any other scenarios where a trucker is trying to figure out how to continue to support his family and make the transfer:

I am a married 38 yr old woman and I've been laid off for over a year now. I have been unable to get even an interview in Washington State. My field is data entry and clerking, but i have been applying for anything. My husband is an OTR driver with one of the bigger companies that just don't give their employees enough work to do much more than survive.

We want my husband to get in on one of the oilfield/frack sites who are looking for CDL drivers. Most of the advice we get is to get on the ground and start applying personally. Unfortunately, with only one income, it's really hard to just drop his job and go searching. Since I'm not working and desperately want to work, we're thinking of changing the game plan and instead of him just blindly going in while I stay home and then move me later, it would be better if I make the initial foray and potentially set up the home base and secure a decent paying job while he is out on the road keeping our funds coming in. This would make it possible for him to come in afterwards and start applying like a fiend. :eek:k:

I'm not looking for a job in my previous work field as those jobs are limited on hrs per week and have a lower hrly wage. I'd really like to work my tail off and make $$ like any other person coming to these locations. You know, the kind of money that would support a family independently. On another forum site, a single woman (with no labor background) hauled up to North Dakota and found work as a roller for a road construction site and within a short time worked her way to a really nice hourly income. I want to be her!!

So, in summary, I'm looking for an area that might be hiring the most aggressively and give a person a chance to get on for entry level work with potential to make a real decent wage. Any advice on best areas, inside scoop on companies, ways to network with folk, and tips on housing would be forever appreciated. Or if you have any suggestions on what job titles i should be looking for that are entry level and can be done by a female of average strength. LOL! I have no problem with labor or harsh weather and I'll be ok with working any shift. We're ok with either North Dakota or Texas.

This won't be the first time that I've scouted and relocated our household on my own. I've driven from Alabama to Washington State with a huge trailer attached w/ all our worldly possessions, over mountains, up and down grade 10 inclines, all by my onesies, while my husband was out driving tractor trailers to keep funds coming for the move. I'm a little nervous, though, so any little advantage would go a long way!

I'd be grateful for any tips or info!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cmbks21

cmbks21 Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2013
    In the oil areas , all the non oilfield jobs are hiring and I mean every single one. McDonald s is payin I think $14 an hour. I cant think of any specifics though. Best to stay away from college towns too

4. Driver5

Driver5 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    West Texas or North Dakota has exactly what you're looking for in spades. Hell, I work in Odessa/Midland and just had a conversation with a few women who were working as office/administrative support for the company that we get safety gear from and all of them make great money doing basic office work.

Think about it like this: for all the actual work in the oilfields, there's a TON of work that needs to be done behind the scenes, and they need to pay well to keep people in the area. I think our dispatchers make something like $15 hour with plenty of overtime at time-and-a-half pay if they want it.

I know the thought of just picking up and moving without a job can be a little scary but there's work for good people in all facets of the industry. If you could visit an oilfield area for just a few days with a positive attitude, I'm sure you would find something that suits you and pays well.

trkrslady Thanks this.
  5. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Eagle Ford Shale, south Texas.

Chalk Mountain Services hires with 2yrs otr experience as do many other trucking companies.
    Dupre Logistics and Costal Plains are looking for crude oil tanker~yankers as well.
    There are plenty of jobs to be found. A word of advice... live in San Antonio, housing can be found much cheaper if you don't mind a short commute. It sure beats living in a man camp/RV park.

....and south Texas sure beats working in the cold slop of Montana or N. Dakota.

trkrslady Thanks this.
  6. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    MBI is hiring for an NHO (New Hire Orientation) Safety Administrator in Belfield, ND. They do interviews either by Skype or in-person, so you could come out here with a job already secured. This is the listing on their website:

Responsibilities:

• [*=left]Fit test employees for H2S Masks.
      [*=left]Scan Employee files from previous week and file them.
      [*=left]Make and laminate cards.
      [*=left]File and organize paperwork.
      [*=left]Prepare Non-CDL employees for checkout.
      [*=left]Ensure all paperwork is turned in and up to date for CDL checkout.
    Required Skills:

• [*=left]Computer and Microsoft Office Skills.
      [*=left]Filing and basic office skills.
      [*=left]Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
      [*=left]Ability to be flexible.

Additional Information
    Schedule:

• [*=left]TBD
    Type:

• [*=left]Full-Time
    Benefits:

• [*=left]Medical Insurance -Premium is 100% company paid for employee or family coverage.
      [*=left]Teladoc - A benefit that gives employees access to a Doctor 24/7/365 for visits by phone/video at no cost to the employee, including getting a prescription written if appropriate. It is not insurance, but helps employees get the most out of their benefits.
      [*=left]Dental Insurance - Premium is 100% company paid for employee coverage or 50% company paid for family coverage.
      [*=left]Vision Insurance -100% employee paid.
      [*=left]Life Insurance - Company paid life with AD&D policy with the option to buy up.
      [*=left]401(k) - Employees are eligible for 401(k) after 1 year of employment and 1000 hours with a company match of up to 4%.

Basically this job is simple admin tasks in beautiful Medora, ND (based in Belfield, but the duties carry you to Medora 2-4 days per week). I am not sure about housing for office personnel, but they may even put you in a shared apartment with other office staff until you find your owm place with your husband upon his arrival. He could also apply online and interview via Skype so he could get a job lined up before putting in his notice and coming here as well (works better so you have a final paycheck coming in to live on while he is in orientation (paid with OT as well).

trkrslady Thanks this.
  7. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Your willingness and determination to do what it takes to improve your family's life is admirable and exactly what they are looking for in the oil fields. For yourself, I would suggest that you need to decide whether you want to work inside or out, then look from there. The jobs are available. For your hubby...sounds like he has a few years otr experience. I would just start filling out online apps. My guess is he'll have a job in short order and quite possibly a relocation package to boot. Check out Supreme Logistics. It sounds like he has the experience they require (2 years) and they will train him for Crude hauling (paid training). Almost all of the oil field companies will hire and train someone with a few years otr experience...and bend over backwards to get them hired. It might not be as tough a transition as you think once you start filling out apps. Just be up front with them what you need to make it happen financially. You can bet that they worked with others and are prepared to work with you if you fit their criteria. They NEED hirable drivers...that is an understatement.

trkrslady Thanks this.
  8. LB.CAL

LB.CAL Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Long Beach, California
    Have your husband fill out a hand written application , and while he is OTR you can do on-line applications. With his experience companies will blow his cell phone up they can't get drivers fast enough in Texas or Oklahoma. Can't speak about North Dakota

9. trkrslady

trkrslady Bobtail Member

May 16, 2014
    Washington Coast
    Thanks everyone for the info! The husband does have 2 years OTR and we've been filling out apps like crazy but, like so many have posted, it seems like being on location directly is the lucky charm.

For myself, I'm not adverse to white collar work but unless you've got a major degree you can look to cap out at $15 an hour in the best of fields. Now, in a situation like DRTDEVL's post, the lower pay will totally be worth it if I can get some housing and/or a relocation package...Application submit, I say! I'm also not adverse to good hard labor and it looks like if you can get your foot in the door, you can make up to $20+ an hour plus overtime during the right seasons. The woman I used in the example, at 40 and working an office type job w/ no labor experience, went out to ND and scored a job learning/working a road roller and after a short time is using those big scrapers. From $15 at start and $25 to end and she gets to play in the dirt. That also sounds fun! I kinda get a buzz thinking about being an earth moving machine operator!! Lol!

So the big goal for me is 1.) Get my self over there 2.) Get a job, asap. and then the big one. The ultimate one. The white unicorn one is 3.) Get a job that is comparable, in income, to my husband's. I've raised the daughter and I'm ready to stop being the "secondary" or "pocket book" income.

BTW, here is a list of some other suggestions I've gotten and if anyone knows any thing about them and can give me some input, I'd welcome any info.

PIC Safety person (provides you with a truck and gas pays 16-20 hr approx) ...I think this is the category DRTDEVL's reference falls under.
    Site Security (provides you with a place to live, pays only $13 but your paid for sleeping hours)
    Field Assistant measuring oil
    Floor hand on a rig latching pipe $26 hr 70 hrs week...Not sure how labor intensive this is or if a 5ft nothing will qualify. <shrug>
    Flag carrier at 20hr...Not sure about ND but in my state you have to get a flag cert to be any kind of flagger.
    Construction heavy equipment operator: In the "real world" you have to have licenses and experience to get on as this but it seems like the construction boom is snatching people up.
    Oil/Gas Landman: This is highly specialized admin work and it's got some big bucks if you can get into it...like 6 digits. Entry level seekers should try to get on w/ lease flipper or a broker as a secretary to learn the ropes.

10. trkrslady

trkrslady Bobtail Member

May 16, 2014
    Washington Coast
    Yep! That's the plan once I get our foot in the door! Impossible right now because we're two states away from ND and several away from TX but buddy, once I get my feet on ground zero, it's going to look like the tazmanian devil has landed. Lol!

11. JAL1972

JAL1972 Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2014
    trkrslady, please let us know how its going with your applications. Don't be scared, you and your husband can search for two good (very good) jobs. :yes2557:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.