Job offer, but need to switch CDL to that state.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by outdoort, Dec 7, 2021.

1. outdoort

outdoort Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2021
    Hey guys. First time posting here. Thanks for the welcome. I Just got my CDL Class A from SAGE Truck driving school here locally in my state of Pennsylvania. Ive lived in pa for the last 10 years.

I got a lead on a pretty sweet driving job in California where I'm originally from. This job requires me to switch my cdl over to California. My parents still live there so I have a address and even a place to stay if needed.

My main question is, that this job is more of a contract type job. So I may spend 1 to several months in California working, then fly home to Pa. I may or may not try to get a temp. job in pa. while home...

Can I get a job still in Pa with a out of state California cdl? Wondering the rules here on employment with out of state ID's and what is specific to CDL's or just non CDL work requirements... Maybe I can get a non CDL driving job with my California ID in my home state of Pa? Taxes?

This job in So cal is very high paying, so this is why I'm looking to do this... I'm just not necessarily interested in working year round there in California that is all....

Thanks for any help/tips on pitfalls I haven't thought of....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Generally speaking, your license needs to be wherever your permanent residence is. So theoretically, you could move in with your parents and use that as your permanent residence to snag that high paying job you speak of.

Of course, when you’re back in PA, you’ll need to find a company that will hire out of California, or prove someway that you’re back living in PA.

But, I imagine once you re-establish residence back in PA, you’ll be required, by law, to get a PA license within so many days (usually 30-45 days most places).

p.s. If you happen to run into Mickey out in Cali, let him know I’m sorry again. It was strictly a case of mistaken identity.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

My state requires you get your out of state license switched to them within 30 days of "moving" to the state. I take that to mean if you legally move your residence into the state (PA) after switching it to CA you are required to have the PA license. But, since you are a truck driver you are going to have to tell a lot about your work and living situation and get your self in trouble. Unless you are driving a day cab in PA with a CA CDL how are they going to know if you are living in CA or PA permanently or temporarily.

5. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Not really. Earnings over $58,635 are taxed at 9.3% in MGD. Unless you're planning on staying with mom and dad or have a lead on an unoccupied tent space (rare) your lodgings will eat up most of what's left. After your other expenses related to moving there (leather pants, lube, Herpacin, etc.) you will actually earn less than you would have earned if you just got a regular driving job somewhere in the US instead.

Remember, every job you take you have to list on your job history going back 10 YEARS every time you fill out a job application. Having multiple jobs per year will quickly turn filling out a job application into a chore that takes a weekend.

tscottme and BennysPennys Thank this.
  6. outdoort

outdoort Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2021
    Whats MGD stand for?

Yea I won't be paying for rent. Sounds like majority of these projects are on site and Id be put up in a hotel anyway... But for the other amount of time yea Id stay with mom and dad lol. Wont be looking forward to that too much! :)

7. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Mexico's Gay District. Some of the old timers still call it, "California".

8. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I’d say forget it. Sounds good. But reality won’t pan out.
    I lived in So. Cal. For 30 years. I know it well. Income tax brings down your check a bunch. Checking account comes with a built in conveyor belt. Money in, money out.
    I was offered a driving job based in Ca. Hauling produce to east coast. I know it’s a good gig. I turned it down.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Isn't Cali one of the states that make you take all of the CDL tests over again to get a license there? Them and Illinois?

10. Snow Hater

Snow Hater Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I live in TX and drive for a company in Illinois. I drive on a TX CDL and pay no state income tax.

It makes a difference where your residence of record is listed. If you have friends in a no tax or low tax state see if you can list their place as a residence. You'll be financially raped if you live in CA. That's just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

11. outdoort

outdoort Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2021
    Well you all say California has such high taxes but when I look at the actual numbers and tax rates, I'm getting taxed almost identically here in Pa. Over a whole year its like a 300 dollar difference (with Cal. being the more expensive). So Its a complete wash as far as the taxes are concerned. Cost of living completely different story, but I know how to do that really cheap. I'm mainly looking for insight on the CDL and details around that, or any other license and job related hiring issues I could encounter, but doesn't sound like people have much info on that here.

Its too bad we cant hold a cdl in numerous states.. I'll prob just have to deal with any trouble I may have while back in Pa. if I decide I need a job back home while not making the $ in california...

faux_maestro Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.